T5 transition

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by troythegreat, Feb 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. troythegreat

troythegreat Astrea Snail

Hey all...
    i currently have 4x64w pc lighting on my reef tank...i just got the current USA 6x54watt T5 ho.....its going to be very hard to adjust the height of the fixture as i have brackets...is there a way i can acclimatize it by photoperiod? and if so how much?

Regards

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

a ceiling kit or shorted photo period I would not worry so much about the T5 are not all that much more powerful . if the corals show signs of any stress then cut back on the run time .

4. troythegreat

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You will definitely want to cut back on your time. You will bleach corals going from PC to T5. T5 can and will produce as much PAR as MH lighting. I know from experience, I had many of my softies and LPS bleach from the change. None were harmed but they bleached none the less.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

congrats on the upgrade!

7. troythegreat

thanks...im really excited about them...i feel like its Christmas...but reef christmas...lol. i currently run them on 12 hour photoperiod....from you experience what do you think is an appropriate cutback?...8 hours? and then increase by one hour a week?

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think that would work fine.