T5 Question

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Fish Fan, Apr 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

I am thinking of upgrading my lighting from PC's to T5's. I am looking at the 48" Nova Extreme with 8 bulbs. I am wondering how much heat to T5's give off as compared to PC's.

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

As far as heat goes, Im not sure what to say, I run that fixture on my 120g, All in all it raises the temp in the tank around 1-2 degrees a day when fully ran for over 10 hours. Its a great fixture. However the fans on it could be a bit more quite lol IMO.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Not much more IMO, you will be able to grow anything you want including clams on the sand. Just replace the bulbs that come with it they are rather weak. Replace them after about 3 months at the earliest to help acclimate your corals and do it 1 bulb every 3 days or so.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Generally, they give off less. I believe that fixture also has a cooling fan which should help.

6. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

Do you have the fixture in a canopy? I was hoping to cut down on the heat transfer even though I have a chiller.

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

bulb to bulb, t5 are cooler than pc's. you can put the t5 fixture in a canopy just make sure there's vents for hot air to escape.

8. Click Here!

9. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i know the nova extreme pro instructions say not to put it in a canopy. i guess its cause of the way the colling fans draw air in from the right side and push out of the left. (not rear like canopy). the sides of you canopy would have to have slots to take advantage of the cooling fans.

i love my 6x54w NEP on my 90 gallon (did upgrade bulbs). but if you have a canopy, might want to at least explore a retro fit (if you havent done so already)