T5 question that I need answered FAST

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Josh116, Nov 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Josh116

Josh116 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm still new to the saltwater world. Some of you may remember a post I just put up where I had an issue with overpowering my coral with a MH light that was way to big for my tank. For the last 3 or 4 days I switch out my lighting to a few extra T5 fixtures that I had laying around and EVERYTHING seems to be doing MUCH better. All the coral have better coloring and seem to be open more. It's almost like I gave new life to my tank.

My original plan was to sell the MH fixture and buy a LED fixture. Well I have very little interested in my light and I am very impatient. I found a LFS that will take my light on trade for some coral

With that being said it brings me to my question. Will the T5 lights I have be enough for my tank on a permanent basis? They are two 36" fixtures with two bulbs in each, one bulb in each is actinic the other is 10,000k. However I can't find the wattage listed. I believe these are the fixtures Aquarium Lighting Fixture Coralife Aqualight T5 Dual Linear Strip Fixture, 2X21 Watt, 36 inch They look exactly like them and seem to have the same specs.

So will these lights work permanently? Should I go for the coral or should I hold out for the LED fixture?

I hope I get a fast response, I plan on heading up there in about 4 hours from now.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

It would help if you would post what size tank you have and how deep it is. Also what kind of corals do you plan on keeping. T5's can generally keep anything alive that you want as long as you have the right bulbs and what not.

4. Josh116

oops sorry. I have a 65 wide. so It's 36" wide and 24" tall and 18"deep. I plan to keep all beginner coral

.... here is a list of what I have now

Blastomussa wellsi blasto LPS
    acid drop facia LPS
    blue tip cerealis acro
    bullseye austrailia duncan
    pink delight zoa
    indonesian acanthastrea acan
    purple people eater LPS
    passion fruit palythoa zoa
    blastomussa wellsi blasto LPS
    sunset millepora milli SPS
    neo loripes acro
    blastomussa wellsi blasto LPS

all purchased from "Reef Pets" on this site

I was thinking of adding some frogspawn and maybe some mushrooms.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Look on the bulbs for some specs- if they are in fact T5 standard output (21w), then no, they're not suitable for corals. Hopefully they're 39w T5HO as that would work.

6. Josh116

i think they are the 21w... the only info on the bulb is f21-t5-bp

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They are normal output. You will want a 4X39W T5HO fixture for your tank.