t5 or mh

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by stoney waters, Apr 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

Have you checked eBay? That's where I buy most of my tank stuff. Bought my last 2 light fixtures off eBay for much less than I found anywhere else.

2. Click Here!

3. stoney waters

stoney waters Fire Shrimp

ok thx for the link and al also check ebay thanks

4. stoney waters

why would u go t5?

5. stoney waters

i read the reviews and most said they didnt have any heat issues at all so i dont think the k-2 would be a bad idea..but what i was thinking is buying a retrofit kit t5s=2 24watt bulbs and if possible taking the arm of the k-2 and making a custom hood?

6. stoney waters

the tank is 24l 12w 12h.i figure putting the k-2 in the center of the hood with one t5 toward the back of the tank and the other toward the front of the tank..then the mh would be centered between the two lights which i think would work...no im def. not good with wood working but luckly i have a dad that does that kinda stuff so i can get him to lol...as for wiring yea not to handy in that either but as long as their r instructions i think al be alright. Think my idea will work?

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

If you are going to take a viper apart and add t5s, then you might as well get a 70w mh pendant, and run the t5 retrofit and throw that all in a canopy over the tank.

Icecap has a nice 70w mh pendant that marine depot has. A 70w e ballast will only run 50 dollars or so. In this instance, a single mh might have better cost to PAR value than t5ho would.
    A MH bulb will generally last only 6 months less than a t5ho, or the same if the t5s are replaced at a year interval. Ushio makes a nice 70w DE 14,000k MH for 50 dollars. If he went 3 t5s, his yearly bulbs costs would be more than the MH would be with LED supplementals. Even at 2 t5s, his bulb costs would be nearly identical. Heat would not be any different, maybe less issues with the 70w mh because the t5s usually are run closer to the water, where mh can be raised up a bit.
    In order to get a nice color combo, you really need 3-4 t5ho bulbs. 2 usually won't cut it for the perfect color combo, and I had a hard time getting the right look on my 3x39w t5ho lit 35g a few years back. I needed 4 bulbs, and 4 would not fit with ATI reflectors.

A single 14000k mh looks very nice, and will give the shimmer, and use less watts than a 3 or 4 bulb t5ho setup. It also won't have heating issues.

8. Click Here!

9. stoney waters

ok what i had in mind was use the two t5s for atinics(dusk/dawn look) and use the mh for the mid day..im not sure what u mean by the pendant they sale i think if its the one u are talking about is just as much as the k-2 but with no ballast so rlly its cheaper to go with the k-2 and just rip out the guts and replace them into a custom build canopy..