t5 or led

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by shoebox, Mar 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

OK so lets say if you were looking at this light -
    Six-Lamp T5 HO Light Fixtures With LED Lunar Lights made by Aquatic Life what if you wanted to buy a led only light who makes it and what does it take to be the same. My tank is a 125gal 23 inches deep. just looking for some input thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

boost led has a great selection of diffrent lights that are really good and they are fairly well priced. BoostLED

4. rc_mcwaters3

by the way the t5 are good and that goes without saying but I think the leds are going to replace all other lighting systems once leds become cheeper IMO

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I think a couple of the boostled MU fixture would cover your tank just fine.

6. rc_mcwaters3

i agree and the leds last so much longer than the t5 bulbs you would save money in the long run by useing less elictricty and not have the hassel of changing the bulbs either and they burn cooler so yea thats my 2 cents.

I also have the bulbs they have come out with over my 20 galllon and can say that the corals I have love the leds and they burn so much cooler its unreal.

7. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

IMO there are a lot of quality LED manufactures. You should use the 3reef search and look up "LED database" to give you a good foundation of info about LEDs. for your size tank, however, you will probably be spending about $1k (if not more) on LEDs if you are keeping any sort of reef. But in every way this up front cost will pay for it self over time (low heat, low energy usage, 10 yr bulb life) and get the added effect of shimmer!

T5s are tried and true great for reefs. they are cheaper than LEDs and are very good for reefs as well.

But if I were you and I had the cash for the upfront cost for LEDs I would go with LEDs hands down. I made the upgrade from T5s to LEDs and will never look back :p

8. Click Here!

9. shoebox

That's what I am thinking tank is still cycling so I don't need a new light for 5 weeks so I can save and buy the led yes it cost more but between bulbs and electricity you should be a head.

10. rc_mcwaters3

LOL boost led is just what i prefer... that being said there are a few sponsers on here that have other fixtures that might be better suited for your needs such as orphek aquarium led lighting

or even Rapid LED Home Page for a diy project.

that being said I would definatly use leds if I have the money.

11. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

im in the same boat with my 6 foot 125 gallon. I have been trying to weigh the negative and positive of getting the LEDS, the long run and look being the positives the upfront cost being crazy. Then the replacement of the T5 bulbs gets up there too. It seems when im right about to jump and get the LEDS I see a new fixture that comes out that looks even better. Take your time and shop around, cheaper is not always better.

12. shoebox

The t5 fixture is 779.00 and right now you can get 10% off and free ship. But if I can use the boost mu135w Like Mr ocean has and if i only need two of them its 800 and no bulbs for at least 5 years and a whole lot less elec.