T5 Lighting for new SPS Reef

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by kwmjones, Dec 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

Hi Guys,

So for xmas I'm thinking about buying a glasscages 48x24x18 rimless tank and building my own stand. I have most of the equipment I need currently from my frag tank I will move over to this tank. My biggest issue is going to be lighting as currently, I'm only running a 14k 150w MH on the frag tank (which is seeing really good growth) but I dont think thats going to be enough coverage for the new tank. I've read a ton about LED and it looks great, but I'm not all that keen to drop $1,000 plus on a couple of AI Sols.

So, would a T5 fixture work and provide good coral growth and color for this kind of tank? If so, what would you recommend? Are there cheaper LEDs (the chinese for example) that would work? My inspiration was Leonardo's reef which was featured in a couple magazines and here, and I am pretty sure he used T5's on his 120 gal. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I have heard a lot of horror stories about Glasscages.com ... the general consensus is they make good sumps, but terrible displays.

T5 is a fantastic light source that can provide enough light for any coral.

4. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

T5 is tried and true, but youll want at least 4-6 bulb fixture.

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

+1 to this. There are tons of noteworthy tanks that run all T5's and are SPS dominated. If you are on a budget, I would look into the Tec fixtures from Sunlight Supply

6. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

So the consensus is glasscages is a bad way to go? Anyone else recommend a better brand rimless tank? What price range would i be looking at for a 48x24x18? Thanks

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

A 4 bulb T5HO fixture will do the job fine. Hellolights has a very good, inexpensive 2 bulb kit if you are DIY minded.

Reef Breeders a sponsor on this site has a LED fixture that would work well also.

8. Click Here!

9. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Unless you can go see the tank and have the choice of buying it or not, I would find another tank. I have seen at least 5 of their tanks that the silicone job looked like a 5 year old did it. The tank didnt leak, because there was so much on there, and was very sloppy and messy.

Deep Blue makes rimless tanks for pretty cheap.

10. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

I'm not a huge fan of the black silicone, anyone else that does it with clear?