T5 High Output 4x54W versus 6x54W

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by m_hsiao, Jun 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

I have 4x54W T5 high outputs from nova extreme right now.. i only keep LPS and softies in my tank along with a clam placed very up high.. i've had different opinions and advice on this before, some people saying it's still not sufficient with 6x54W and some people saying 4x54W with high placement will be fine..
    anyone out there with own personal experience have kept sps under 4x54W or 6x54W T5 Ho and share their experience?

2. Click Here!

3. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

I have kept a lot of sps under both a 4x54 and 6x54 watt setup. With the 4x54 on my 75, I kept the sps in the top 1/3 of the tank with great color, with the 6x54, I kept sps in the top 2/3's with great color.

Now the quality of the reflectors will be more important than just the number of bulbs. A good 4x54 retro setup with Aquatinics or Icecap SLR reflectors, will put more light into the tank than a cheap 6x54 setup. Also the bulbs can make a big difference. Cheap bulbs put out less light than good bulbs, so there is a lot more to it than just the number of bulbs.

Kim

1 person likes this.
  4. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

thanks for your help kim

5. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

what are considered "the good bulbs"?

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i don't have a 75,i have a 55 gallon.i had to raise my 4x54watt t5's extra high cause my softies were getting way to much light.i'm glad i did'nt get 6 bulbs like i was told.my coral never would of opened or my light would have to be a foot above the tank.

7. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

Good bulbs. ATI, Geismenn.

I keep hoping somebody puts together a good list of par values for T5 bulbs, but so far nobody has been able to compile all the info so we can look in one place.

Kim

8. Click Here!

9. puma

puma Flamingo Tongue

I believe someone has before, and if i remember correctly they went in this order ATI, UVL, Geismenn. Or maybe it was ATI, Geismenn, UVL but those seem to be the top 3

10. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

I mean a setup like Sanjay's MH charts, with PAR values for all bulbs.

Kim

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

This is from Aqualung on this site, although these numbers are also floating out on other sites. Don't know what ballast or fixture if any they used, but they are 48" bulbs. At least you get a comparison between the brands.

12. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

I will send Aqualung a PM and see if he/she will let us know at what distance and if there are any other bulbs to add to the list. There are a lot of other brands of bulbs and models within the brands that are not listed.

Kim