T5 DIY Canopy

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by malac0da13, Mar 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Ok before I officially start my t5 canopy build I would like to get some ideas on how to cool the bulbs while still evacuating the heat from the canopy and away from the aquarium.

Heres my "skillfull CAD drawing"

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

why is it offset from the top of the tank?

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Buy a computer fan or aquarium cooling fan and set it to blow across the label end of the bulbs.

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

That is what it will look like when it is open. When it is closed it will just be a rectangular prizm(well maybe it will have some sort of molding or sumptin to keep it from looking so plain.

I want to cool the label end of the bulbs but also keep the heat from building up at all too. How I have the bulbs now it pretty much all open. All it is is just a frame around the bulbs and is causing my tank to heat up from 77 to 80 and its not even warm in my house. So I guess what I am trying to say is I want to keep the label end cool, but I am more worried about getting as much heat out of the canopy as I can lol.

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

orient a fan to draw air on one side and another to exhaust it on the other side?

7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Would it work to have two in the back blowing inwards and enclose the top and put two vents in it? Or how about having it the same way but just have one blowing in over the label end and the other blowing out?

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Both ways are good solutions. I sort of like the vents on top since heat rises.

10. DustnF

DustnF Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ill be following this. I am going to need to make a canopy for my new 65g.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Well my dad and I are going to be going to Lowest to get the wood on saturday. Hopefully we will be able to get things started right away. Should only take a day to build it but will have to wait for the stain to dry. I got one question tho. Will it be ok for the aquarium to be with out light for a while while I move everything over to the new top?

Sent from my Hero using Tapatalk