t5 bulbs

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by prerymt, Apr 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. prerymt

prerymt Plankton

hi i have a 48 Inch 6x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 4 Lunar LEDs
    the light has 4 blue lights 1 purple light and 1 10000k light but im getting too much hair algea, is there a better combination of lights that still look good and provide the light i need. i run the 2 lights from 7am to 8pm and all 6 lights from 9am to 5pm, my phosphates are a little high but im not feeding as much now, i have 2 carnation corals and was feeding them twice a day. thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Cut back on the lighting period to ten hours total. Run all 6 for 6 to 8 hours.

If your tank is not 24" wide you need no more than 4 bulbs with the light schedule I have recommended.

4. prerymt

prerymt Plankton

my tank is 90 gallons

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

That bulb combination is fine, its great. It's what I and many other people run. That's a very large photoperiod as mentioned. cut it back some.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed, you should cut back on the lighting. However, algae needs more than just light; you need to find and correct the source of your nutrients, and/or modify your maintenance routine. A skimmer, fuge, GAC and GFO are all viable options to help with nutrient/algae issues, as well.

7. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

My plan of attack is frowned upon, but it works. Do a 3 day blackout, then a 15% WC. Try and suck up the dead/dying algae.