t-5s vs Halide

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by coldshot, Mar 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I have a 55 gallon tank and want to do hard corals. THe halide lights on ebay are affordable but some say there is a heat factor involved that would raise serious problems for the tanks inhabitants...Will t-5s do hard corals in this tank and if yes where can I get them for 350.00 or less. Will you guys please post me some links so I con look at different ones even if they are over the 350.00 and find a fair price...thnx

2. Click Here!

3. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

is it a 48 inch 55 or a 55tall?

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

And what hard corals exactly? ;)

5. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

6. coldshot

it is a 48 length

7. coldshot

I am not sure exactly what will be in here I do want a australian brain and a few others that require high lighting I want the option of putting anything in here and it having a good environment.....

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Well if you don't want to be limited in what you can keep go with MH. As far as the heat goes, it depends a lot of what the ambient temperature of the room is, how high off the water the lights are and how long you have them on for. If you just want to keep lps and softies, then T5s will be fine. T5s can keep anything too, you just need more of them and the tank really can't be more than 20" deep.

10. coldshot

11. coldshot

From the substrate the tank is 19 inches I see you have a 55 wiht t-5s do you have an album here? What are you keeping under those lights? And where di you get them and how much were they? Are they online I just checked my auctions and might get a good pay in a few days...Maybe have 500 extra....Would the 2 250 halides fry everything?

12. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

Get the 54wx4. 48 inch bulbs. Do you have a canopy over your tank? As far as bulbs I would recommend the UVLs or ATIs. That is really personal preference though. I like the price of that retro kit as the 4 bulbs are included as well.