Switching to LED - Full review comming

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by TJSlayer, Mar 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Well I'm currebtly running a TEK T5 6 bulb fixture over my 75 gallon and have many corals a really nice anenome and had a clam for a while as well.

Been reading about LED's for about the past year and have finally made the decision to pull the trigger on them.

I will not dislose the unit that I'm buying until it actually ships, but will be posting a complete review with many follow ups once it's all settled.

Gave some thought to a DIY setup but I really like the look of some of the commercial fixtures.

Essentially going to be replacing 324 watts of T5 lighting with 240 watts of LED lighting., wanting to get the shimmer effect and really looking forward to having moonlights back, and the ability to control the color of the tank from a control panel so to speak.

STAY TUNED...

:)

TJ

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

This sounds like a really fancy light.

4. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Sounds like AI unit if you can control color. I got 24" on order too. I picked AI mainly for that reason.

5. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I am interested in what you picked out. I am in need of a new light set up and have been looking at LEDs. I need new light for a 100g 60" x 22" tank. Not to get off track but how did you like your 6 bulb TEK? Thats what I was looking into if LED's are out of my price range, which all the ones I see are.

6. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Loved the TEK, great light for T5's really produces well.

For a 60" Tank I would get the 8 bulb version as it will cover a little better.

Main reason for loking into the LED is the shimmer with no heat and all in one fixture so to speak.

Was also considering a canopy and then putting in several modules, but starts t get cumbersome....

The fixture isn't one mentioned yet, but took a long time to find it....

One hint will be the price is around $1550....

7. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

The LEDs I was looking into came in at about $1700. Trying to justify that expense to the wife would be an exercise in futility. No matter how much money it would save on bulbs, heat, energy over the course of many years.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

yeh, good luck with that. hahaha. I usually have to trade a trip to somewhere she wants for something of that caliber. Mexicos nice this time of year ;p

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I wish I had that much money for light fixtures. All I could do was way less expensive DIY. Nonetheless, I LOVE leds professional or DIY :) Looking forward to the full review with pics.

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

acan led?

12. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

No they are not in North America yet, but will be in the folowing months.

Will post more info as soon as I have things firmed up.

But they look pretty sweet.

TJ

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011