Switching Salts, Reef Crystal Results

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Biocube, Aug 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Interesting thread. Personally I have used atleast 12 buckets of Red Sea Coral Pro and have had consistent results with it. I would rather pay the extra dollar and go with what has been working for me. I like the price point of Reef Crystals, but I dont want to compensate for lower alk, cal, and mag levels if I dont have to. What are the numbers for the big 3 with Reef Crystals? Im looking online and not finding any solid numbers.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I won't even begin to rant about some of the synthetic salts on the market; I'll just say after trying several over the last couple years and experiencing a plethora of issues, I'll never use anything but IO (dosed up if needed) ever again.

That being said, I don't think switching salts is a big deal, especially if you're only doing 10% water changes. Even if the salt you switch to is drastically different than the prior salt, these differences quickly become small when you mixed 10% of it with 90% of the other. I don't do anything special when switching besides start using the new salt. :p

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

for the most reliable numbers on salt mixes this thread is updated with an average that was done for each salt listed by a reef hobbyist who is also chemist. It's all very reliable numbers on what to expect out of each major salt brand

Synthetic Salt Mixes - Reef Central Online Community

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Looking at those numbers it seems like Reef Crystals is better than Red Sea Pro.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I used IO for 20+ years without a single "bad" batch.Never stirred just shaken.LOL;)

+1

1 person likes this.
  7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Looks like I'll be placing an order for Reef Crystals soon.

Thanks everyone for the help! :)

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Just placed my order for Reef Crystals from Fosters & Smith because I had a previous credit and free shipping.

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Okie, so I made some water and here are my test results for IO-RC.

I started the batch @ 11pm 8/27
    Tested @ 4pm 8/28
    Mixed in 5 gallon bucket with power head air injection and LED light.
    Tested using Red Sea Pro (Mag & Ca) / Salifert (Ph) / Hanna (Phos & Alk) /Marine Depot Refractometer (Calibrated using 35ppt solution)

Results:
    Temp: 80F
    SG- 35ppt
    CA: 470
    Mag: 1360
    Alk: 9.85
    Ph: 8.25
    Phos: 0.01ppm

11. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I just switched over to the Red Sea Coral Salt but not the pro. I will just dose up. The parameters are close to where I keep my parameters now. It's only been a few days and the only thing that has changed is my skimmer output. I originally was using RC and after every and I mean every water change my skimmer went crazy. My disclaimer is that was what happened to my tank. My corals haven't changed yet maybe because it was a small water change. I do see some improvement in my SPS and LPS.

12. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

+1 to that. I just switched from rscp, which gave me hazy water, to iorc, which has, so far, mixed clear. Have not tested params yet, but expect similar to biocubes.