Switching Salts, Reef Crystal Results

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Biocube, Aug 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I am currently using Seachem Reef Salt but I am looking to switch over to Red Sea Coral Pro.

Is there anything I need to do before making the switch?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hi, Biocube.

I used to use Instant ocean salt, but switched over to Red Sea Coral Pro shortly after getting corals. I didn't do anything different when I started using the new salt. I just read the instructions and mixed accordingly (1/2 c. per gallon water). I've got higher levels of Cal, Mg, Alk and have consistent readings from every batch of salt. I'm very pleased with it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Did you notice any difference in your corals after using the Red Sea salt?

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

whilst many people have changed salt brands, and had no problems

I think Simon Garrets comments below, related to Cyno in this case, but it has some very valid comments about making changes in your reef tank

to summarise
    you are not only changing the major elements and may get additional calcium, alkalinity and Mag for example , you are also changing all the minor and trace element balances you have established in your system

thus changing graduallly by introducing a small percentage of your new chosen salt and then building up until the new salt becomes the salt used for a water change , you reduce the effect of these changes and give your aquarium time to adapt to the new enviroment you are creating

I would suggest, if you are doing a 10% water change, instead of using 10% of all new salt, start with 25/75 ratio new /old
    then 50/50, then 75/25 in favour of the new, and by 4th water change, you should be good to go with RSCP for all the water change water

monitor conditions in the aquarium as you progress, not upping the ratios until you are convinced the imhabitant have adjusted to the enviromental changes being created.

Cyano bacteria within a reef tank by Simon Garratt | The Aquarium Solution (US)

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Not particularly, as I changed other variables at this time as well (lighting). But I do feel it was a good choice, as due to the higher levels, it has allowed me to go longer without having to dose the tank, despite a rather small water volume (had 35 corals at one time, over half of these being SPS).

I saw increased coloration and polyp extension, but for all I know this could have been due to the more intense lighting in my tank.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks Steve! I will do what you have recommended, I definitely want to go slow in this process. The last thing I want to do is stress my tank and cause a possible crash.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I had a bad experience with the Red Sea Coral Pro (Calcium at 240).I realise that there is always a chance of a bad batch but I have never had an issue with Coralife so I switched back.The only other salt I would try is Reef Crystals as I have used that in the past and know that IO's batch testing is second to none.;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

??? You now have me confused, I don't think you missed anything. Besides your possible bad batch should I not be looking at Red Sea Coral Pro?

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

See, this is why I shouldn't watch the Olympics and surf 3reef. :)

12. reefermadnes

reefermadnes Bristle Worm

I thought about using red sea coral pro but have read way to many threads along with some lfs that use it tell me about how many bad batches they have had. IMO it is too expensive to have that many bad batches, theybasically put sea water in a container, let the water evaporate then scoop up the salt and put it in a bucket. I have used reef crystals, coralife and kent and I have found all three to be fairly priced and consistent. I chose to use coralife in the end due to price and consistency. $45 for 200g