Switching Over to MH [Update]

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by GuitarMan89, Aug 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Last month I got a Galaxy ballast. I LOVE it. I plan on getting another to replace one of my other ballasts. Much brighter and crisper colors.

You will not be disappointed.

2. Click Here!

3. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

I am using 2 lumen max 3 pendants with lumatec ballasts which I believe are real similar to the galaxy ballast they are both made by sls. The pendants do not look bad, a bit industrial looking but not bad in person. The reflectors are great. I think you will be happy with this setup.

1 person likes this.
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Thanks for the description, I was a little worried about that.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought my new lighting system. I got 2 SLS LumenMax 3 pendants, 2 Galaxy Select-a-watt ballasts, 2 150w 14K Phoenix Bulbs and 2 hanging kits. Once I get the equipment, I'll set it up and begin documenting any changes, if any, I see and other pro/cons of the eternal question of T5 vs. metal halide.

6. antdizzle

antdizzle Peppermint Shrimp

i wil say on a tall tank the 150 hqi dnt have alot of punch to penetrate a tall water column. if you want punch id say 250s.

7. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

I don't know about t5 to mh, but I just switched from led to mh and am already seeing more growth and color in 2 weeks time than I saw in months under LEDs. In all I think you and your reef will be very happy with your choice.
    On a side note my tank temp is not hard to control with the mh. It ranges from 79 at night no lights to 79.5 lights on with house temp of 76. Running 4 canopy fans and 1 fan on the sump.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's what I've heard too, but right now, I'm about 18" to the sand bed and only have lower light corals down there anyways. I don't plan on upgrading to a deeper tank anytime soon, but may be planning a slightly small tank which is why I wanted pendants, which are much more flexible as far as tank dimensions go.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Just confirming that you're aware DE 150W and 250W have different form factors, so even though the pendants you're about to purchase are compatible with both--unless they come with conversion kits (different socket ends and means to fasten), it might be pretty costly to move from 150 to 250 if and when the time comes.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Yes, I am aware of that. But the equipment I bought will make it easier to move from 150w to 250w then other choices. At least I won't have to worry about the ballasts.

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Glad to hear. So many mistakes are avoidable, yet so easy to miss. :)