switching from LED to t5! FINALLY!

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by bobssecrtsn, Jun 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

hey guys i finally found the t5 fixtures i like so now im making the switch from AI SOL NANO to this

i dont know what kind of t5 combination i want but i want around a 16k look. not to blue but not to white. so i was thinking...
    2 ATI Blue+, 1 KZ Fiji Purple and 1 UVL Super Actinic.. sounds good?

icecap 24“ Reef Illumination

its a combination of 4 t5 bulbs and 2 actinic led t5 bulb. and its for a SPS dominate tank!

i believe this fixture was discontinued. and ive been searching around for replacement bulbs for led. sounds like alibaba sells em. i cant really say how good/bad the fixture is i havent gotten yet. but ill let you guys know!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It looks like a nice fixture along with a good choice of bulbs. Why did you decide to switch from LED's?

4. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

i was getting some decent growth. i just didnt like how the colors looked on my corals. they do pop. just not certain corals.

5. leichr0220

leichr0220 Astrea Snail

Yes why the switch, I just went the other direction...

6. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

What colors did you have on them?

7. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

as i posted above. great growth just no color pops on some of my corals..

all of my green corals seem to pop the neon green color, and my pink as well. but my red millie and red planet does not seem to pop at all. my red planet turns green whenever it grows a new table. it just irritates me lol

also my blue just turns to a dull blue. my tort has encrusted. no color yet. garf bonsai has yet to show any colorations. just major growth.

8. Click Here!

9. leichr0220

leichr0220 Astrea Snail

Fair enough, I really like the blue LEDs they make all the green corals pop like crazy. Although since the switch all of my mushrooms have relocated...

10. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

try lowering down the intensity, let me know i you have the same problems i did!

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Your color combination will most likely yield something in the 22000k to 25000K area.

12. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

From what i've read just a straight white/blue combo of LEDs wont give you a full spectrum which in turn will not cause those reds ect to "pop." Can't remember which ones help pop the reds but a lot of people are adding UV, Cyans/greens, different blues/whites, and red LEDs (though i read that there may be algae concerns with the reds.) jmo but i wouldn't throw out your old LED setup just in-case you decide to try it again with some research and a little modification...