Switched to LEDS, weird algae growth

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Anthos312, Feb 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

So since switching over from my 150W MH 14k Phoenix to my DIY Bridgelux LEDs (Aquastyle Online) I have had a weird algae bloom. Im am running about 24 LED's currently (9 white, 16 blue) at full. I have definately noticed my amounts of green hair algae have bloomed very much in addition to a weird brownish tan algae on my sand.

Just fyi, I am not using RODI and i know i should. I will pickup some from my LFS soon but since im having surgery tomorrow it will have to wait a bit and continue with tap for now.

Regardless of the RODI, the leds have definately bloomed these algaes more. Any thoughts on the brown? Cant be diatoms, and doesnt look like dinos...

sorry bout the color, but the iphone cant pickup the color of the tank while LED's r on. You can see the clumped sand though.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

IMO, those LED are very subpar compared to the previous lights and I would think this may account for a part of the algae.

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

subpar? I would think they would promote less algae due to the more higher color temperature or kelvin rating. I honestly was kind of disappointed which my 14k phoenix bulb. People rave about them and that is why I bought it, and dont get me wrong, it was nice.. just was kind of bland and didnt look like the ones i saw in person. But anyways, yea I feel like it should promote less algae with a more blue light ya know?

5. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

The LEDs from aquastyle, are no where near the quality of others online, rapidLED for one, they use CREE LEDs. They have far less output and therefore do not compare. From what I have seen, you get what you pay for with LEDs.

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Okay.... I didnt make the thread to discuss which LED's are better than others. Any many on this forum do use Aquastyle LEDS with success. I whole heartedly agree that they are not the quality of others such as Rapidled or similar CREE builds, but this is what I could afford...I already know what you just said, and aquastyle fit my budget at the time and I am happy with what I have. I am just trying to focus on why an algae bloom would happen after switching to LEDs. I am thinking they are providing par output than my previous halide.

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

It could be the switch over meaning since you have them running at 100 percent, you have started at like 30% and worked your way up. Just curious, how long has your tank been setup and running?

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Hmm, im going to say over a year probably about 1.5 years

10. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Are your LED's dimmable? If they are I would turn them down at least half way. If not then I would cut down the main light phase to 1 hour a day and raise it an hour every week until your desired result.

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Its probably a good idea to dim them down which I will do, and I will cut back the light time starting tomorrow.

However it seems that lighting for only 1 hour a day wont give the corals time to even open up. I will lower my schedule to about 5 hours with whites and blues on about 1.5 hours before and after the whites.

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

i mean its not drastic enough for me to seriously cut down on lights, im thinkin i just need to cut back on feedings and limit the lights a bit. Any idea on what type of algae though?