Switched Mh bulbs from coralife to pheonix

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by jonathan9573, Aug 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonathan9573

jonathan9573 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I bought a used coralife dual 150w Mh with coralife 10k bulbs and dual 96w PC and moon lights. My lfs didnt know how old the bulbs were which i figured anyways so i started with a new 420nm pc then 3 months later bought 2 new Pheonix 14k bulbs cause i wanted a little more blue to my tank. Everything was good in my tank before i put the new bulbs in and now everything seems to be opening really slow and not even getting to there fully open state. Should i go back to the Coralife 10k or just wait it out? The bulbs have been in for about a week and a half now.

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

It sounds like you need to acclimate the corals to the new light if you havent already done so. Ive never used MH but am somewhat familiar with them so i would say maybe cut your light cycle in half and slowing bring it up from there. Maybe by an hour per week. you could also raise the fixture if possible.

More than likely this is an issue of too much light compared to the old bulb.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

+1 - new bulbs most likely stronger than mystery bulbs.

5. jonathan9573

thank you for the input. I will raise my lights off the tank and slowly lower them over the next few weeks. It didnt seem as bright because of the blueish color so i kinda thought they needed more light but apparently it is the opposite.:)

6. jonathan9573

yea they are all closed up and are taking A LOT longer to open. Last night before my light came on i raised the light to about a 16 inches off the tank and after the lights came on everything opened a lot better and didn't look so angry. I mostly have mushrooms and polyps in my tank.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it. I think you are in the clear now. Those corals would certainly be shocked by intense light.