Swim Bladder Disease/Disorder

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Andicat43, Dec 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Andicat43

Andicat43 Plankton

I believe my fish have some sort of swim bladder disease. They were swimming all weird and floating straight to the top whenever they weren't struggling to stay down... then when I fast them if goes away. BUT as soon as I feed them, even once and even a tiny bit, it comes back right away.

They are 7 year old goldfish... 2 of them in a 20 gallon tank. We had one pass away recently (6 months ago) as well, unfortunately. Anyway I can't keep fasting them and not feeding them. I've tried 3 different kinds of food, and also peas too. Anytime they eat ANYTHING they float up to the top and swim sideways.

Should I try treating them with an antibiotic? Could this be some sort of infection that I should treat. I feel bad starving them so much, and I feel bad feeding them cause they can't get their swimming right.

Can someone please help?

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Bump. I don't know much about diseases.. maybe someone else can help. GL

4. aussie_reef

aussie_reef Plankton

firstly froc if you dont know why bother posting but andicat43 fish can burst their swim bladder that could explain why they float but it will heal just give them time how long has this been going on not long i assume cause if it was serious they would soon die if it was my fish i would keep them well fed and hope they will get better if they refuse food then you have a problem probably an internal parasite but untill they refuse feed them up dont worry if they float
    ps sorry for the late reply i havnt been on the forum for a while

5. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

worst comes to worst use a copper based medication and that should clear everything up

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

do you add salt to your water?
    Believe it or not, salt is good for goldfish!

7. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

Very Very True!