SW 110G Tank Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by CountryBoy72, Jan 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Astrea Snail

Looking for some input on this setup that I found locally for sale. Looking to venture into the saltwater, am a newbie. Any info on weather it is quality stuff, what is the pro's and con's of the set-up. Found this complete set-up for sale. Here is a link to the tank.
    Complete Salt Water system Outside Nanaimo, Nanaimo

150 gal drilled Salt water tank. Comes with Stand and canopy, 1- T2 light(1 Acqitinic, 1 Coral Life), 100-150 lib live rock, live sand and crushed coral base, 2- Koralia powerheads( 1400 gph), Eshopp Protein Skimmer, a 90gal sump with return pump, separate compartments. Fish= 1Niger Trigger, Rectangular Trigger, Foxface, Regal Tang, Snowflake Eel

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

it sounds good.... as long as you keep the rock, and sand alive without putting them into another cycle so the fish don't die. and the cons is that you don't really get to build it into your own creation so its not as fun! but its still fun... and definitely addicting ;D

4. CountryBoy72

Is it possible to add more coral an fish to this tank ? How would you move this tank seeing that there is no way to lift it full of water, the stand an the water on the bottom of the stand ? What would send it into another cycle ?

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

It looks good. This is a Fish Only With Live Rocky system (FOWLR). As of right now with those fish, I would not add coral. What you could do is find a Local Fish Store (LFS) to buy/trade the fish for you, then you could add what you want as far as Reef safe fish and coral.

You can move this tank very carefully with the sand still in the tank. I would honestly just toss the sand and buy all new sand. You should risk another cycle because you will still be using all the Live Rock that is in the system now. You want plenty of 5 gallon buckets with lids to put the fish in and the live rock. I would empty the tank and take the all the sand to the trash. Save as much water as possible and then fill the rest back up with RO/DI water.

The price seems really good as well.

6. CountryBoy72

Cool Thanks. researching as much as possible, learning alot as I go. Will stop an talk to the LFS about trading/buying fish that I want. With the fowlr set up can you add Anemone's to this set up ?

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is what I forgot to mention as well, the lighting isn't good enough for any coral right now. It has very little lighting for a tank that size. You will have to upgrade the lighting on that tank to grow corals/anemone. ;D Depending on what option you want to go with will depend on the cost overall. I would suggest T5's of LED's. I would stay away from Metal Halides because they produce so much heat, but they would give you good PAR with a tank that size.

8. Click Here!

9. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

i agree. but IMO anemones are overrated, just because a clown will host other corals(if your interested in clowns), and anemones will eat or harm other inhabitants.

10. CountryBoy72

Was out checking around for tanks an supplies. Went to the local lfs, an he has a red sea max 250. Really liked the fact that it has just one power cord. What are the pros and cons of using this of unit ? He also has a 110 gallon drilled tank too. Would just have to find a stand for it. How many manufacturers are there for sump tanks ? I could get a local guy to make me a sump tank if I had too. He also has a 90 gallon not drilled but can get that done locally too.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Bigger is better in terms of more water volume makes it easier to keep the water quality better. It all depends on how much you want to invest right away and where you are wanting to go with it as far as fish and corals.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

i'd buy this setup in a heart beat knowing your gonna have to add $700 for a decent led set up1 but the rest is there! grab it! by the time you piece a new set up togehter you'll be well over that price! buy it!;)