Survival of the Fittest

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by oceansurf, Jan 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't think my fish died of disease. My water tests right on !

I haven't lost anything from my salt water tank.

I have lost 2 gourmais from my goldfish tank. The goldfish are doing well, but I know the tank is overcrowded.

I think I lost 2 cats from my parrot fish tank. I'll have to look more closely later. It is a 30 gallon with 3 zebras, 3 catfish ( ? ) & a parrot fish.I don't call that overcrowed, but I guess the parrot fish may. I'm buying no more fish. It will be survival of the fittest & let nature run its course. What do you think ?

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

When you say your water tests "right on" what do you mean by that? What are you testing for, and what are the results?

You mention 3 tanks. You say one tank is overcrowded, and resulted in the loss of two fish. Another tank you feel isn't overcrowded but feel the parrotfish might have a different opinion. From this tank you have lost two catfish. Finally, you have a saltwater tank that's healthy.

Please help clarify what is the question here. I'm scratching my head. :-/

1 person likes this.
  4. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

By saying my water is right on, I mean I tested for ammonia, PH, nitrate, nitrite & calcium. All were in the acceptablle range.

The question is, since my water is fine, could it just be nature taking its course? Are the fish merely thinning themselves out so they will not be crowded anymore ? Maybe this sounds silly. I just wanted to know if you have heard of such a thing. Thanks for answering my post.

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

You don't mention the tank size or total number of fish; but as I'm sure you're aware, when there is insufficient resources for the number of fish--be it food, oxygen, or room to move about--there will be stress.

Of course fish also sometimes die for no reason we can observe. Without knowing a lot more about your scenario, it's tough to tell.