surgeonfish/tang tank size

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by bvb-etf-luva, May 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

please guys dont get on me for this, i am only trying to do good. just so people have some guidelines to look on when it comes to tangs.

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i have also just learned that the list on reefcentral was put together by sevral marine biologists.

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Hmmm, then why doesn't it say ocean for all the requirements? Tangs travel more than 2 miles a day according to some californian institutions. I really think this is a pointless thread since every fish is unique. People can find guidlines on liveaquaria and such, and it is not up to us to post them. As aforementioned, some tangs can be kept in a 60, and well IF ALL REASERCH IS DONE AND YOU ARE CONFIDENT THAT THE FISH CAN BE PROPERLY HOUSED. So shoudnt we be teaching newbies that instead of giving them tank guidlines?

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Let me ask you something, seriously.

If a MB told you keeping a SW tank was cruel and wrong would you believe it? Would you agree, or disagree? Why?

You see just because a MB states this or that doesnt make this or that true- it's an opinion, based on what ever "fact" they (the MB) say is/are such.

Experience......... doing it yourself, then you know what the truth is.

Any Tang IMHO will do fine in a tank above 90 gallons done correctly, now what else is in that tank determines that particular Tang's lifestyle, it's agression level, and therefore it's stress level.

But before going further, define Tang stress. Show us what this is.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i do not mind when people post their opinion but this is over the top, this forum has plenty of debates without instigation. how would a tank size list not be a good guideline for new aquarists. this is how we can keep tangs from being kept in 30 gallon tanks by people that dont know better. as opposed to what is happening now is when they list the inhabitants of their tank everybody jumps on them like a spider monkey! i am only trying to help. i am not trying to be a pot stirrer and if you see it that way ou are welcome not to post on this thread.

7. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Nice! Just know that they are suggested and that there are exceptions. Also tank volume is a partial misrepresentation of what tangs really need: free swimming space and room to graze!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i am aware the lists do not take into consideration size or length of the tank and tang. it is just a simple guideline

10. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Was waiting for this...

11. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Ah- now there is a true fact.

anymore?

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

would you put a achilles or sohal tang in a 90?