surgeonfish/tang tank size

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by bvb-etf-luva, May 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i have seen many ehated disputes on this forum about the minimum tank size for many different tangs. here i have a link to a reliable resource that gives the tank sizes. it also takes into account how many believe it is ok to get a small tang in a small tank then transfer it to a larger tank when it gets bigger. it states that it is best for tangs to live out their whole life in one tank. read the article for more info on this subject. i hope that this will kind of settle down on these debates. this list here is coped from the link. as you can see no tank is suitable for a tank under 75 gallons.

• Achilles Tang (125g+ Assuming you could keep one alive anyways haha...these guys are difficult!!)
    • Powder Blue Tang (90g+)
    • Powder Brown Tang (75g+)
    • Clown Tang (150g+ Clown tangs get very large, over 1ft, and can be extremely aggressive)
    • Lavender Tang (90g+)
    • Orange Shoulder Tang (125g+ Orange Shoulder Tangs get very large, over 1 ft)
    • Sohal Tang (150g+ Sohal Tangs get very large, over 1ft, and can be extremely aggressive)
    • Convict Tang (75g+)
    • Lemon (Mimic) Tang (75g+)
    • Eibli (Mimic) Tang (75g+)
    • Atlantic Blue Tang (75g+)
    • Chevron Tang (90g+)
    Tangs & Surgeonfish: Why you can't keep one in your nano - Nano-Reef.com Forums

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

like it but Atlantic blue tangs need 125 gallon tanks and i'd give sohals/clowns a 250 gallon to;)

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

this is the final, this is from nano reefs and it is correct. notice it says 150+

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

nano-reef..do any of them have tangs?

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

im sure the people on this site have many years of experience exceeding you and me combined. this is the attitude of the people that keep tangs in tanks too small for them. no one can argue with this! it is the true tank size for the tangs.

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

must be getting blind lol.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Its not the final

another site RC in fact, has a similar set of guidelines
    in certain cases , some of the tank sizes given on RC are larger than the tanks indicated on the site being mentioned above

what you have posted is a list of tank sizes for certain species, based on the opinions of a percentage of the membership of 1 site

its the same with the RC list (they have achilles in 180s, Sohals in 350s etc)
    its a list of suggested tank sizes for these species of fish and was generated after a few threads, where the subject was debated and thus a list arrived at

they are guidelines
    they are not the laws of fishkeeping

my opinion is

Suggesting to a newcomer that a Naso should not be on their list of proposed occupants for a 46 gallon bow front = good advice

but suggesting to an experienced aquarist, with a much larger tank, that they should not have X,Y or Z in their set up = uncalled for advice

learning the difference between these 2 things, would certainly be a useful benefit to 3 reef

I agree, its good to ensure newcomers to the hobby get advice based on a cautious approach and I personally take those opportunities when they present themselves

I dont like seeing yellow Tangs in 2 and 3 ft tanks or Hippo Tangs in the same sizes
    I dont like seeing a yellow and a hippo in a 30 gallon tank
    and as such I would advise newcomers who have been considering those fish, in those tank sizes, to re consider and look at other fish more suitable

but expecting experienced aquarists to accept without question or debate general lists for tank sizes of fish, arrived at in a debate they never contributed to - is unrealistic IMHO

A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still

Steve

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

im not saying that either of these links are wrong, but there are exceptions to almost every rule. I myself wouldnt put a tang in a tank that is too small for it.

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

haha i guess theres no argueing with steve. but this was more for newbies as a guideline. i am aware there are exceptions to the rule.