Supplementing MH with more HID or T5

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Reefenstein, Apr 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefenstein

Reefenstein Astrea Snail

I have 2 x 250w hung over a 110. I have Phoenix 14K's in there and I want to brighten it up a little.
    I am also in the process of redesigning my hood. I plan on mounting my 250's in spider reflectors and either run 4 x 54w T5 or 4 x 55w HID.
    I have found these small HID lights with colors from 3500k to 12000k

[​IMG]

The 55 w are 40 bucks a pair and the 35 watt are only $30!

I am really leaning towards four 55w 10K's and then stage them to come on one at a time from one direction until they are all lit,
    burn for an hour or three and then start turning off one at a time (mimic the sun moving across the sky).

I have no actinics now. Bad?

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

those are made to be spliced into a 12volt system. You will need a type of converter to change from AC to DC and you will run into problems here.. Not saying it cant be done, but its not worth any risk..

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

but thats the beauty of it... they use so little energy!
    check into a converter, wont be too much. i have considered this also actually... even if only for a fuge light.
    you need 110v ac to 12v dc and then your golden

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yes, you could run those car lights off of a DC to AC converter. I have been wondering why someone has not tried this already? I bet someone has, but there are reasons it didn't work. In any case, give it a shot.

6. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

I think you should do a diy video on this project...

7. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

High Intensity Discharge lights are bulb replacments for standard hologen lights. They are only designed to work with a lens. unless you can replacate a lens, they will not give you the spectrum you desire. IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefenstein

Reefenstein Astrea Snail

Thanks everyone.

I guess I should have told you 120AC/12DC compatibility has never stood in my way.
    My workshop floor gets littered with all of the snipped off ends of power converters ($1-$2 at my goodwill).

I would like a few responses regarding whether smaller HID's or T5's would be better so supplement the main HID's with.

banthonyb71: Can you please provide a source that verifies the claim of a reflector/lens changes the bulb's delivered spectrum.
    I have googled and have not found anything as to where a lamp's color will change due to different dimensions in reflector design or lensing at distances of < 4 feet.

You have lumped all HID into one category here.
    It is also hard for me to comprehend that automotive is the only application and that they cannot be integrated into other lighting applications.
    FYI I already have HID over my aquarium, 2 x 250w 14K MH. This post is regarding adding 4 x 55w 10K MH.

Statements like that are detrimental to creativity.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I install these for a living is why I'm telling you this. I am not an expert in lighting just mobile electronics.

What Im telling you is thes bulbs are not directed. they do not have a lens at the tip. the only thing on the tip is the end of the ignitor. When they are placed in a car the cars lens is what directs them into an outward pattern. Also vehicles lighting housings have reflectors, which directs the light into the lens. Without this lens or reflectors, the light will not be reflected downward towards your tank. They will go more outward than downward. A reflector would direct the light more in the direction you wanted and make more use from the light.
    ( didnt mean it will change the color temp of your light.)

All I was saying is to consider this into your purchase decision. if you have already had success than I commend you. Comments like this are just diffrent people thoughts and opinions. hence is the reason I assumed you where asking it to get other people thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  11. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Many reasons to stop considering this.

-AC to DC converter is one more thing to fail.
    -AC to DC converter is going to eat a bit of $$$ in current as it goes about doing its thing.
    -600w HID ballasts are the most efficient lumen/watt ratio of any produced. The relationship of efficiency to wattage rating isn't a linear drop but it is a mildly predictable drop. As a result the 55 watters could be less efficient than T5's.