supplementation for softies only tank

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by nanomania, Jun 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Iv been keeping hardy zoas and mushrooms since 2yrs, now im upgrading to bigger tank and planning on keeping kenya tree, toadstool, leather fingers, etc... my tank size is 24"x15"x15" with 12g sump. wave makers will be hydor 2800 lph and sunsun 3000lph controlled by hydor smartwave (i know a bit too high but might add a few sps in future). need info on supplementation. lights will be 2 white led flood lights and two blue led flood lights.

2. Click Here!

3. Jake1

Jake1 Astrea Snail

I would not put Kenya trees in they spread like weeds and are hard to get ride of down the road if you like the look go with a colt coral. Also wc is the best thing to do to keep up your parms.

4. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

IMO if your zoas and mushrooms were fine, then so will the others that you listed. They're all pretty easy. Although some of the leathers will engage in "chemical warfare" but with several large ones in my 30 gal I have never had an issue that I'm aware of.

5. Jake1

Jake1 Astrea Snail

You will mainly see the warfare with leathers vs Lps and Sps. That is why some people do not keep leathers with high end Lps and Sps

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

How many tanks do you have/ plan on having. Every new thread i read from you, your doing some new species or tank. lol Yiou dont need to supplement much for softies, just routine water changes with good salt will do. Also if you do supplement, make sure you test for it.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

What do you mean by "supplement"? Are you referring to dosing or feeding?

As already mentioned, you won't need to dose anything; routine water changes will keep your water parameters in check.

If you're feeding fish in the same tank, you won't need anything additional there, either. If the tank is fishless however, your leathers will benefit from an occasional feeding. There are several products on the market designed for softies/leathers, any of which will work.

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

My coral stock is very similar to yours,wc's and feeding the fish is all I do.I also run carbon to help remove the toxins leathers release.

Edit-yeah,don't add kenya unless you really like it,I have a forest of it but I happen to enjoy it.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

After viewing your upgrade or soon to be arriving tank thread I would say you already have it nailed as far as growing soft corals.

As far as supplements with regard to water chemistry, I do not see any harm in using a Trace Element supplement. I like Kent BTW.

While I myself am very hesitant to encourage additional Iodine or Strontium to a tank I believe that some soft coral dominate tanks my benefit.

11. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

My palys have never been happy since i got them... never knew the reason. rest all zoas and mushrooms grow like weed. if u see me pics, the pink and green zoas have become 6 times in 1.5yrs, mushrooms are growing everywhere but green/brown palys they dont look good. i dont know wether it becuse of light or iodine or something else. i dont have pests xcpt for some apitasia but not a single one attached to my palys. my wc are 20% once in a month but i guess ill have to buy a good quality salt like red sea coral pro, coz the salt i buy is manufactured locally. what about the flow rate, it will be approx 60-65 times,will place them facing water surface. any one ever dosed lugols iodine? iv seen some professionals dosing on the internet...

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i wouldnt dose iodine as I dont know how/if you can test for it. I know with shrimps, it can cause them to do a stress molt. When i first started adding corals I did have someone that I know is really knowledgeable tell me to dose a small amount of iodine whenever I added new corals (cant remember how much) and i never had any problems, however I stopped doing this and never really noticed much difference.

One thing that I used to have great results when I had mainly soft and LPS corals was Aquavitro fuel. Bunch of amino acids and minerals. However I am not sure how much this was beneficial versus me seeing growth simply from water changes?