Super loud Protein Skimmer pump. Is there a fix?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Magnus, Mar 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I got an Eshopps PSK-200 insump skimmer. It comes with a mesh weel impeller pump, I believe, but then again, of that I'm not sure since there's absolutely no manual or info about the pump on their website.

To make things worse, it's in a very uncomfortable part of my sump, and I can't detach it from the skimmer body since the fittings were tightened very, VERY well. In fact, I had to get the sump out, then put the skimmer, then slide the sump back in in order to get it in there.

The problem with this pump is that is SO loud that have to turn it off to go to sleep. I can hear it with my door closed. I've noticed that if I obstruct or partially obstruct the intake with my finger and remove it, the pump goes super quiet for a minute and then it starts screaming again. Also, if I turn it off and then back on, it will do the same, it will stay operating almost silently with just a very low humm noise, then a minute or two after that, it starts making a horrible noise.

I just got this skimmer and it has only been working for about 1 week to 9 days at the most.

Is there anything I can do to stop this horrible noise?

I apologize before hand, I wish I could provide with the pump name and model number, but I really can't get to it as it is.

Thanks for any help, tip or advice.

- Mag.

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

Sounds like your impeller wheel is a bit messed. Have you checked to see if it's tight?

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

No, I haven't. I've never taken one of these apart though. But I will try tomorrow. I'll need to drain all water out of the sump, to get this stupid pump.

Is there a link with general instructions on how to do this impeller wheel adjustment?

Thanks for the help.

- Mag.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Well, I couldn't wait and got the pump out. I had to maneuver some but with the help of good 'ol wrench and some muscle I got it.

I took the whole thing apart as far as I could go and the rotor or axle where the mesh wheel fits into isn't glued to the wheel itself. Does it need to be glued and all in one piece or does the wheel need to rotate freely?

I was able to take the wheel off the rotor by pulling a little but nothing exaggerated. What's next? Should I glue it or leave it alone?

I have no idea what I'm doing with this.

Thanks for the help again.

- Magnus.

6. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Well.... I guess something was lose in there.

I just put it all back together since I didn't want to mess with the glue right now without any more info on how the procedure goes, etc.

I just made sure the pink center rod was all the way in and after and after re-assembling the pump it works flawlessly. It's done that before when off for a little bit, then it starts making the noise. But even then, there was a humming noise. Now there's not even that. It's so low I can't even hear it.

Beats me... No idea what I did, but it worked! :p

Makes me wish more things in life were that way ::)

Thanks for chipping in guys.

Now I may go to sleep in peaceful silence :) :) :)

- Mag.

8. Click Here!

9. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

woop woop glad it was an easy fix for ya

10. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Hey Mag, seems like your assumption of "weird science" was right! At least with this skimmer! Glad you got it fixed!

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

THank you!

I promise I have no idea what did I do right to make it stop. Maybe something was loose as suggested by slocal.

- Mag.

12. faithyboy

faithyboy Plankton

I have a similar issue except mine is with an internal skimmer

I have a Juwel aquarium which is currently fitted with a Juwel skimmer.

for a year the skimmer had been working without issue. Then all of a sudden it started making 2 different intermittent noises.

The first noise sounded as if there was something jammed (clicking and rattling)

the second noise sounds like slow running water.

Both of these noises are intermittent and the skimmer appears to be working as it should do.

I'm fairly new to marine fish keeping and i am a bit skeptical about opening up the skimmer in case i cause further damage.

any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys