Super high PH and KH, any advice please?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by pocketbulletz, Aug 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pocketbulletz

pocketbulletz Plankton

Hello all, found this site about a week ago and i've been reading alot of stuff since.
    I am having some real problems with my PH and KH.
    Water stats are as follows:

Salinity1.024
    Nh4 lowest on test kit
    No3 lowest
    No2 lowest
    Iron none
    Phosphate none
    CA 360-380 ppm? unsure if that was right, but 18drops *20 per.
    PH off the chart, 8.7 is a dark blue my vials are purple
    KH is 240 , again with the drops 24drops at 10per
    Temp is 84-87 daily fluctuations, I know this is bad my chiller arrives tomorrow.

Anyways i've done alot of reading up on this from all the great links on this great site, and I read adding vinegar to lower my PH was ok, so i did a 20%water change and poured a small amount of vinegar into my tank.

Retested after 2.5 hours and PH was still purple (not dark blue) but it did seam like it was getting closer to the 8.7dark blue.

KH was down to 210 ppm
    CA was still 380ppm and all other levels were still perfect.

Also I now realize that I was using the Kalkwasser improperly(too fast) and thats what caused my KH, PH spike, my main question is what should i do?

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.
    Also tank is a 50 gallon tall type
    and I have a 400w MH / 2 * 32W Pc actinic Pendant Combo, have cheap skimmer also. and like 80 - 100 lbs Live Rock.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

What I suggest you do, for the moment, is nothing :)

Do you have any fish or coral in the tank?

John

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Here is a link from the Chemistry section of this forum that I had just read, explaining the relationship to PH, Alkalinity, and Calcium......it may explain a little of what is going on

I would , however, still listen to JohnO, and leave it alone for the moment.....I've seen lots of people chase their tails with water changes (myself included) , etc......

The people here give excellent advice! Just thought the link might be helpful down the road.... ;D

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

6. pocketbulletz

pocketbulletz Plankton

Today the water looks kinda cloudy after adding the vinegar last night. Not like milk but just hazy and not crystal clear like it normally looks.

KH still at 210 ppm, whats the conversion rates cause most people say their's is like 4.0
    PH test is still giving me colors that are not on the chart, last night was getting dark purple, and today im getting a sort of light black reading

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

The converion rate is to divide the ppm reading by 50.

So 210ppm = 4.2 dKh

Now, Do you have any fish or coral in the tank? :)

John

ps, Please be very careful, cloudiness could be Calcium precipitating out of the water or could be an algal bloom, or something else. I strongly suggest that for the moment you stop trying to adjust the water parameters until you understand the problem, if there actually is a problem :)

8. Click Here!

9. pocketbulletz

pocketbulletz Plankton

I have two fish, a sand sifter and a maroon/gold clown with anenomie.
    I have few corals, a leather finger coral, some type of acropora, lots of mushrooms, some xenia and coralline algea.

My chiller just arrived today so i installed it inline , however i could not find any information at all regarding which of the tubes was the input and output tubes, so I just put the tubes the way the diagram had them, but there was no markings.

So the chiller is working fine except that the temperature it is reading and the temp that my aquarium therm is reading is 10degree difference. DO i perhaps have my input / output tubes crossed, or is it possible that im not getting the required 300-500 gph that the chiller suggested. aquarium temp says 84.8 and chiller temp is saying 74 and 75, so ive got to set it to 72 just to turn it on, then it shuts off when the aquarium temp gets down to 82, and comes back on at 84-85 again.

Chiller is a Pacific Life 1/10 hp cl-280
    thanks again guys