Super Glue???

Discussion in 'Frags' started by djnzlab1, Jun 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

HI,
    Have a couple baby mushroom that are on pieces of shell that are so light a fish swim buy and they float away, I may dry a rock a bit and try to touch the shell back side to a drop of super glue on the rock will it hold or is it a waste to try.
    I ve seen a frag glue not sure if its cyano or resin based.
    Ive heard of them using super glue in the or for lacerated organs that can't be sutured things like livers.
    Doug

2. Click Here!

3. rking

rking Astrea Snail

Superglue

It hasn't worked well for me, but I've never dried the rock, however, I have a friend who glued his mushroom with superglue and its held ever since. I don't know if its really safe for your tank, you'll have to get that information from someone more experienced than me.

4. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

super glue is reef safe, just let it dry completely before putting it inside your tank/water system.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Try fastening them with a rubber band/toothpick!

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

2nd. I always save super glue gel for the hard corals. Softies like the smooth feeling of a nice toothpick.

7. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Bridal veil/mesh over the rock holding the mushie down :)

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Can Superglue be used(will it hold) on wet rock or do I have to dry the rock?

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Um...it can, but it is much tougher to get it to stick.

11. mad_kangaroo

mad_kangaroo Astrea Snail

Anyone know of a good underwater epoxy or paste?

12. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

it worked

HI,
    Well I removed the rock dabbed it dry with a paper towel where I planed to stick the shell and the mushroom, I also dried the bottom of the shell.
    I put a drop on the rock and the shell my finger instantly stuck on the shell. crap -ola. Any, who I manged to pry my finger off the shell ( I may have left some of my skin there hehe)
    and attached the shell to the rock it stuck, and the rock wasn't that dry, I then did it again with the second mushroom, and they were holding their breath and shrinking thru the whole procedure.
    Any way waited a few and touched the shell it was stuck well on the rock returned the rock to the tank and mushrooms seem to re-inflate and all is well, I tried to keep the glue away from the mushrooms , and it paid off.
    Doug
    ps I accidentally bought the lock tight version of that super glue I ve noticed on more than one forum its the preferd cyanoacrylate..