SunPod 20" 150w HQI replacement bulb??

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Katie Grant, Aug 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

I bought a used 20" sunpod 150w HQI fixture, and am looking to replace the MH bulb, I wasnt sure if I could just buy any light bulb that looks like that one? or if theres a specific kind I need to buy, or if theres a better brand. thanks!:)

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

you can purchase any bulb that matches that one and you should be good. Nice thing about MH is you can change the Kelvin rating to suit what colors you want in your tank like a more blue to purple look 14k or higher

4. Katie Grant

i feel like thats whats in there now, because it puts off a really blue look. and I love it! ;), i'd check but im at work right now, and I found a couple lights on ebay that i was looking at but dont want to buy them and have them be the wrong model!! :(

5. Katie Grant

And another question I had about this light (My old fixture didnt have this) I have the 1 MH, and theres 2 sets of LEDs 6 of each so 12 total, 6 Blue (Lunar) ones, and 6 white colored ones, Are the white ones used during daytime? Or are they used at night along with the blue to give it a differnt type of lighting?

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

They are all for moonlight use. Not enough power to cut through the halide.

You should check out Ushio bulbs. If the Ebay ones you are looking at cost under $50, I wouldn't get them. Quality comes at a price without exception when it comes to MH bulbs.