SunPod 150w. issue

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by arsoncop, Dec 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arsoncop

arsoncop Astrea Snail

I have a 48" Current SunPod with two 150w. 14000k MHs. I bought a replacment bulb beacuse one went out and installed it and it started flickering and bussing. I notice it is a 150w/15000k not a 14000k. Will that make a big difference and cause the bulb not work right? ​

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

The kelvin rating should not make a difference at all.I would double check that it is a 150w bulb and not a higher wattage as this could cause it to not fire properly when using a ballast for 150w.

4. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

It happened to me before too. Try to clean connections in socket with fine sandpaper. I also squeezed those metal parts in socket towards each other to make better connection with bulb.

5. Hamilton Tech

Hamilton Tech 3reef Sponsor

It may be the bulb itself or possibly the ballast. Switch your two metal halide bulbs around in the fixture. Does the problem continue just in that one socket? Or does it stay with the bulb that was moved? That should help you pin point the problem.

6. lyal

lyal Astrea Snail

15000K is fine for a reef setup. I've run 14k-20k without problems.

Check for green anywhere in the wiring; means there's been oxidization/rust. Get rid of it, and the flickering should improve.