Sunbrite LED Lighting Fixture & LED Tubes

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by adicus, Oct 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

I'm considering a move to LED lighting. I've been reading some good reviews on the Sunbrite LED Lighting Fixture with their Gen2 LED tubes. Apparently their first generation LED tubes had some design flaws and were not very good. I spoke to my LFS (Vivid Aquariums) who recently started carrying the product line, and they speak highly of them. They have them in use on three different aquariums of different coral stocking. I'm interested in how the individual LED Tube control timers function. I couldn't find any information except that individual control of each of the eight Tubes is provided and you could produce a sunrise/sunset effect. I'm planning a trip to Vivid Aquariums, but would like to have some questions to ask.

Does anyone have any first had experience with them? Would like any information you have.

Thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

That sounds like an awesome fixture. Are the "bulbs" long-lasting like most LEDs? How much do these fixtures run?

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would play 20 questions with Vivid on this one since they are carrying the fixtures and they have awesome customer service. Their website was the one that gave me a great start on properly setting up my tank.

5. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Seano - Here is a link to Vivid Aquariums page for the lighting:
    Buy Aquarium Lighting - LED Lighting & Moonlights | Vivid Aquariums

From the page, select the size you want for pricing information.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Looks great!

Pros: Love the "expandability" 1 to 8 tubes, and the customization features. Timers, rotating in housing for aiming purposes.

Cons: Steep cost.

If anyone does get one of these kits, please let us know how it does. Very cool, innovative product!

7. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Timer Programming

Found information on the timer usage. Sunbrite has a FAQ site which answers some of my questions. The Controller is very simple - Date/Time ON-OFF for each of the eight bulbs. No individual Tube dimming (which is what I was hoping for). Very basic programming which is probably good for reliability. Here is link to video:

SUNBRITE LIGHTING SYSTEMS INC-How do I operate the LED timer pack?

8. Click Here!

9. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Cost analysis based on how Long will bulbs last

I was surprised at how forthcoming SunBrite is with this information. Other vendors are just saying - works fine/lasts a long time. My cost analysis is based on the 36" Lighting Fixture and Tubes. But as you can see from the replacement times, the cost/year per bulb could be as high as $300 (SPS UVA Tube). For my 150 which is 36x36x27 - I estimate that I will use all eight slots in the Lighting Fixture. Cost:

Initial Outlay:
    Fixture - $230
    1 UVA Tube - $300
    1 440 Actinic - $210
    1 480 Actinic - $210
    2 22K - $400
    2 16k - $400
    1 10 or 12k - $200

Total = $1950
    3 Year replacement cost:
    3 UVA - $900 ( 1 per year )
    All other Tubes - $1620

Total = $2520

Annual replacement cost:
    $840

Annual replacement cost for my T5 bulbs - $208

LED annual replacement cost is $632 higher than my T5 system. (632/12= $53 per month) I don't believe that the difference in electricity cost per month between the two is even close to $53.

Conclusion: Until the price of the bulbs comes down by around 50%, it is not cost effective for me to make the move.

"How long will the bulb last?

SunBrite LEDs are rated for 30,000 hours. The spectrum will never change.
    Any light bulb is a wear and tear items, expect a 10% to 17% drop on the PAR reading for the first year, 5% to 10% on the second year.
    We suggest replacing the bulbs every 3 to 5 years. (SPS-UV bulb) once a year."

Quote from their web site:
    http://www.sunbritelighting.com/Bs_FAQInfo.asp?Action=FAQ&id=87

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Have you considered the DIY route for LEDs?

11. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Thought about it, but don't have the time now - perhaps when I retire.

12. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I was just at Vivid, and the Sunbrite fixture they have running looks great. They recommended the Sunbrite over the Ecoxotics retro. The Sunbrite however is a lot more expensive for my 36" tank. There are more options out there for LEDs IMO. Wavepoint is bringing a 36" fixture to market soon for around 1200 bucks, that looks great. Saw it last year at Reef a Palooza and @ Tat's Tropical in Thousand Oaks. You can also DIY for like 700 bucks.