Sun Polyps

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Houston, Mar 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Houston

Houston Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What do you guys feed your sun polyps? I have 2 damsels and some green star polyps in my tank. Is there a food to feed everybody? I would like some varitey in the food as well. What do yall think?

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Brine shrimp/Mysis works well... I prefer to use pellets though alot easier to target feed imo

1 person likes this.
  4. divott

divott Giant Squid

also if you find the damsels stealing food, make a feeding dome for the suns out of a 2 litre pop bottle.

1 person likes this.
  5. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

they will pretty much eat anything yoou give them, or what they can fit into their mouth.

cyclopeeze/ mysis / brine

but i like redgambit idea with pellets

6. Houston

Houston Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If they are not opening how do you feed them pellets? I have some krill pellets will that be ok?

7. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

You need to tease them open. the first week will take the polyps some time to open up but they will come out quicker as they get comfortable with your system.

when you feed your fish im assuming you are mixing tank water into a small cup with food in it. so as the food settles to the bottom of the cup just take some food scented water from the top of the cup and squirt it on the polyps with a turkey baster and wait then do again until they are out.

read what divott said about a soda bottle. if you cut it so it surrounds the coral then the food will hang around long enough for the polyps to open so that you are not constantly throwing food into your tank that will go uneaten.

it will be easy to foul the water when feeding this coral. as they need to be fed at least 3-4 times a week

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Mine really like cyclop-eeze.

My issue is getting them to open enough to feed. They're getting better about coming out during the daylight hours so that they can actually feed because, well, I'm not staying up all night until they decide to open to feed em, LOL!

10. slocal

slocal Doot!

I've never target fed my sun polyps. I keep the powerheads on when feeding the fish Rod's Food. The coral is trained to come out mid day and apparently gets enough food from the single feeding of the tank to double its size in 6 months. Not that this will work for you, but this is my experience.

11. stonewilled

stonewilled Feather Duster

sorry divott, gotta elaborate on your suggestion.

If your polyps aren't tucked into the rockwork then this will work:

You can use a Turkey baster, superglue the upper 1/4 of a 2 litre bottle to the turkey baster to form a dome that will cover whatever you're feeding with the b aster. Use mysis shrimp and just wait for a minute after you feed before you remove the baster/dome because thats all it takes for the sun polyps to pull the mysis in far enough so the damsels can't steal their meal.

Experimentation! you could also try feeding corals at night to discourage fish from stealing their food. Good luck!

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Cleaner shrimp and a tailspot blenny are the food thiefs in my tank!