Sun Polyps

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Cat4wisson, Jul 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

Does anyone know if Sun Polyps have a central digestive system, or is each Polyp have a separate stomach.

I have had my Sun Polyps for a little over a month and they are doing well, have been feeding them 2-3 times a week on live/frozen shrimp. I try to make sure i feed them all, but want to know if this is necessary.

Currently when I feed them I put them into a container so that I can make sure I don't miss any and so that my feeder shrimp and other fish don't take too much from them. I am also concerned that moving them so often could affect their health on the long run.

But if they have a central digestive system, then I could get away with feeding them in the tank without moving them each time.

Thanks for the help...

2. Click Here!

3. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

hmmm not sure, but i think they do

4. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

From what i have heard, if its what im thinking of, oyu must feed every polyp. does it look like the coral on this site? Orange Sun Coral (Tubastrea faulkneri) if so its a must on every polyp

5. feixjai

feixjai Fire Worm

I think each polyp has their own stomach. They reproduce by budding off, so wouldnt each have their own stomach? All the coral needs is good water quality and good lighting. The feeding is just extra, so there is no worries if all of them gets food or not.

Hold on, sorry about that. Are you talking about a sun coral like the one from trent's link or sun polyps like yellow polyps? There are so many different names for corals now-a-days.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

This isn't always true, for most soft corals and many lfs, you don't NEED to feed them, but some require that they be fed daily or weekly

7. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

It's exactly like the one in trents post, The like was very helpful

Guess I will have to make sure I feed them all to keep them happy and healthy.:)

It's amazing how much they will eat, I spot feed them and with a min or two they are fully extended again waiting for food.

Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Sun Coral is non photosynthetic

I think they may have a central digestive system. Im sure tangster made a post about feeding these brine shrimp and how messy it is it ruins you water. Instead feed one polyps a peice of krill! Much cleaner and they all get fed.

Altho i may be wrong