sun polyps

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by jtr38230, Aug 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jtr38230

jtr38230 Skunk Shrimp

:confused: My wife bought these about a week(6 days) ago and they still haven't opened I have moved them all over the tank. Put them in the darkest spot I made a cave for them I have tried to feed them everyday. I'm kinda lost on what to do to get them to come out. I have fed marine snow, zooplex, brine, and mysis shrimp. My water is testing good I have no other problems with anything else. Any ideas on what to do? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

They are a NPS (Non-Phostsynthetic) coral. Placement shouldn't matter in terms of lighting. I have no experience with them myself, but everytime I see them at a LFS they are closed. try feeding after all lights go off. I've been told they open up for some after that. They will have to be spot fed once they open weekly if not more due to being a NPS coral.

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

You have to feed them when they open mine open about once a day normally right after my 12K lights go off. What you can do to get them to open take aturkey baster and squirt a little food in there area and wait like 30mins (yes it does take that long) and then feed away. I have the Black sun coral.

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Let me also add that constant moving and touching of the coral will disturb it and take it longer to fully acclimate and open. I know it is nerve racking when you get something new to make sure it is okay, but it is actually best to leave it be for a little bit and give it time. like leighton said above, follow his instructions for feeding as he has first hand experience.

6. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

also the more you feed it the more it grows but it will tell you its hungry(looks kinda like a pokey flower when the polyp is extended). My nemos and fire cleaner shirmp try to take the food from it so if you have either i would watch it carefully.

7. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

You can cut the cone part of a soda bottle off and put it over the coral squirt the food in it and it will help keep other creatures out.doing this will get them to open up ice bc they feel food on them

8. Click Here!

9. melonz

melonz Astrea Snail

squrit some food on them, they'll eventually open up. Had mine for about 2 months now and are spot fed just about everyday. They'll catch on once you do it consistantly

10. MNreefr

MNreefr Plankton

I have had good experiences with this coral. Feed it after the lights are out for a couple hours and it should be fully extended. I have read that you are supposed to keep them in a shaded spot but I keep mine on the sandbed in the open with no issues. My starfish likes to steal from them so I have resorted to cutting the bottom off a 20 oz bottle and shooting a load of food in the top with a baster. They seem to have pretty decent growth if you care for them consistently.

11. VPBassist

VPBassist Bristle Worm

I did this and its the way my sun coral ever opens up. I have it for two weeks and never seen the whole 3 inch frag open at once but if you cover it with a soda bottle and target feed with a baster it will show some activity and eat. Unlike other people, I've never seen it open at night. Even when I check it throughout the night. The soda bottle and turket baster feeding are the only thing that works for me.

12. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

I wouldn't be moving them to much so soon,it could stress them out and prolong the aclimation of them opening up,also if you have any fish or other vert that are bumping climbing on them thT may agitate and make them stay closed