Sun polyps still wont open!

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by rickzter, Dec 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Hi everyone! I researched these guys for some time before actually buying them and trying them out. I eventually came across a nice frag with about 20+ polyps on it and got it for about $20.00 bucks! The polyps look real healthy but have a bit of rot on it. Anyone know what to treat this with? I tried brushing it off with my finger and some came off. Maybe dipping it in kent's coral dip???

Anyway, it's been about 3 days and they haven't opened. I sprayed some plankton at them to try to entice them to come out. Sprayed a little phytoplex so they can sense food in the water or something, still nothing. The closest I've gotten them to open is to the point where they look like a small bulge and I can barely see a small ring of their yellow tentacles, but they have never pushed them completely out. Parameters are perfect, other corals are out, what's going on with this little guy??

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

4. AZCoralGuy

AZCoralGuy Plankton

Here's what I do to feed my Sun Polyps and to get them to open. I spray a mixture of food that I feed the fish on them every day, twice a day. It seems to do the trick.

I use this to feed my fish and spray it right on the Sun Polyps. What is not caught by the Sun Polyps is eaten by the fish.

I use a feeding bottle with a narrow tip to spray the food out.

Equal parts of Brine Shrimp & Mysis Shrimp (8 cubes each).
    1 squirt of Selcon additive.
    3 squirts of Liquid Life Phytoplankton.
    3 squirts of Liquid Life Marine Plankton.
    10 drops of Kent Marine Garlic Extreem.
    3 capfuls of Julian Sprangs Marine Snow.

It took me about three days to first get them to open blowing the food on the Sun Polyps about 3 to 4 times each day. Eventually they opened, and now they open after each feeding. It's nice because they are open during the day. They will stay open for a couple of hours and then close up again.

Good luck,

AZCoralGuy

5. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Mine tend to open in the dead of night on days I don't feed. On days I do they open About 8:00 (About an hour Before I feed)

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

They always seem to open (as I described below) right when I'm gonna turn the lights out. But once the lights go out and the moonlights kick in, I go and see if they are out... nope.

When I target feed, they get scared and push themselve back. I have been attempting to feed zooplankton, but I will try something different today. I really dont have anything that will eat all the food, so I will spray a tad on them and then feed them once they are fully outside.

Also, does the garlic extreme work well to entice them to come out?? If so, I will try it out and see how they do.

I know once they come out, these guys are gonna look real good, it's a big colony. If I manage to get them out, I will try to post a pic of them!

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Ok, tried squid and they seemed a little interested, but just as they were coming out, my overflow started leaking from the bottom. Turns out I needed new o-rings. Got everything up and running, attempted to feed them, but that incident with the OF might have spooked them.

10. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I've been thinking about getting some sun coral but don't want to target feed them too often. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how things progress.

I get a kick out of seeing you guys post links to melevsreef.com. It's run by the president of my local MAS. I'll be sure to let him know that he's helping all kinds of people! :)

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

A little update. As of yesterday, I attempted to give them a food bath, I was unsuccessful in bringing the little jerks out. I placed them back in my tank, and they are now bulged, but not out. I'm gettng a little worried, as I dont want these guys to die off and dont want to pollute my water with too much food.

Anyone have any other approaches to getting these guys to come out? Any food in specific? I'll get it. I have the San Francisco Bay Brand and also comes with Marine Cuisine, anyone know what these little guys absolutely love to eat??? Mysis? Brine?

12. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

have you tried frozen pods like copapeese