Sun polyps! Info. needed!

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by rickzter, Dec 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Well, here I am again, another post on those blasted suns! Well, since my previous post, I have been successful in getting the little guys to come out and have feed them a great deal. They seem to accept anything carnivorous I throw at them.

There is a problem though. My suns seem to have shorter tentacles than others I have seen at the LFS. Is there another species of suns with shorter tentacles or were they just malnutritioned before I got them and will grow them out? They only seem to stick out tiny little tentacles and not longer ones like I have seen on other frags. They barely stick out enough to catch food. I have also seen them expand when they are swallowing large chunks of squid and the tentacles seem to be short. I actually saw two get stuck because their tentacles came in touch with each other (the suns are close to each other). ;D

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

No sun polyp experts! bump! :-[

4. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

well im no expert.....but my suns act funny sometimes.....sometimes they are bright yellow, then at times they are a dingy yellow.....they eat Mysis and brine shrimp well. i also feed Coral plankton. i'm sure they get something from that. how old is your reef?

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

It's pushing 6 months. My suns eat real well, it's just that their tentacles appear to be smaller. Maybe if I keep them well nutritioned, they will grow them out??

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well there are many different species of sun polyps, some are just bigger than others, i really wouldnt worry about it...do you have any pics?

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

They seem to catch stuff well, it's just that, well... their not that very attractive with small tentacles. Hopefully they'll grow them out. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have button and star polyps that had long tentacles. Then for some reason they weren't happy and closed up for days. Then when they opened up again their tentacles weren't as long as before. Maybe that is what you are faced with. If so, you needent worry because they are getting bigger again(tentacles). Maybe try placing the polyps in a different place where there is a stronger current flowing over them.
    tom

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmmm. have you checked at night? they come out alot...also wait a while, mine didnt extend fully for about a month...and now i lost my small frag lol...im looking for it everywhere good thing they dont need light very much...
    HANG ON!

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I've checked, but everytime they are out, the tentacles are the same length as before. I guess your right, maybe they will fully extend them later. They have eaten a lot since I got them, I'd figure they would extend their tentacles fully. Funny bunch.