sun polyp coral not extending tentacles

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by muggle, Feb 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muggle

muggle Purple Spiny Lobster

Over the last week my sun polyp coral has not been extending its tentacles out from its base, it seems as if conditions in tank are fine, only concern are nitrates that have ranged from 5ppm to 10ppm, any suggestions if its nitrates or something else? I know leaving it vague, sorry. Was feeding mysis shrimp and brine shrimp on a regular basis.

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

How often is a regular basis feeding? I feed mine 3x a week. Ive been getting them to come out under my fired up T5's on my tank during daylight. Sometimes I sneek them in a carnivore pellet food if Im lazy, let it soke then feed them, seems to be less messy then brine or mysis.

Try to get the nitrates down possibly doing a water change would help. Not sure when the last time you did one is.

4. muggle

I did a water change last tuesday ( almost a week ago), they were being fed every other day and the tentacle were out what appeared the majority of the day, lights on and off...I just got two angels for my tank and am wondering if my tank is overstocked...120 with 4 anthias, 2 watanabe angels, yellow tang, tomini tang, clown fish, six line wrasse, diamond goby. The nitrates were up about 10-15 last before i did the water change and then dropped to just below 5.

5. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

try feeding cyclops-eez or dried phytoplankton by ESV.5-10 nitrates not bad so do a water change and get them to zero.Its ok tolet them come up to 15-20 for a short period then drop them back to zero.I think this gets my corals kinda like a jump start.And small frequent water changes are beter than one big monthly.

6. muggle

I do a water change every other week and my nitrates havent been an issue until as of late, could have been some overfeeding when I first got the angels, all the other corals-mushrooms, devils hand, xenia, zoas, torch, hammerhead, clam all appear to be ok.

7. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

The angels might have caused a spike in the parameters. Because of the bioload and what not and new fish. How old is the tank. Cause I got far more stock in my 120g then you do :| and everything is doing well. I even have a side of the tank deticated to sun coral. got 4 varieties!

8. Click Here!

9. muggle

This was an upgrade that I made in September, went from a 55 to my 120.

10. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Hmm Yeah, My guess is its just the bioload adjusting to the addition of the angels. Two more larger fish so.... You could do a water change and see if that has any affect.

11. muggle

yah they were an unexpected addition that I couldn't pass up, figured i would see what happens over the next week and then have to start diving deeper into it, funny thing is my one segment of xenias have actually looked better