Sun Coral Questions

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Brandon1023, May 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Well I bought a nice piece of Sun Coral about a week ago. I have been trying to feed it every other day, with limited success. I have been using an old Betta Fish cup with a hole in the top to cover the coral with while feeding. This is to keep my other fish out, and the brine shrimp in. The polyps open a little, but nothing like I have seen in various pics. I tried once to remove the coral completely, put it in a bowl of aquarium water, and that didn't make much difference. Are these guys just shy at first when trying to coax them out? Is there something else I could try? I have been mostly feeding them at night, around 8 or when the first light goes off or the night. I am definitely committed to giving this guy the extra attention it needs. Yes, it is for the most part out in the open, under the lights. I have read mixed comments about whether or not they light the light. Plus the spot they are in is simply easier to feed them in rather then under the cave I have. I will keep working on it, anyone have any thoughts? Your success stories on these guys would be great, too! THANKS.

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

They will take their time to come out at first. Once you get them to eat, they will always come out. Sometimes they are really hesitant and will require a lot of food to be sprayed before they open up. Just have patience. ;D

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

You know...there is somthing interesting i have found about this coral. When i first got it i was always trying to feed it...but it was never open...now i dont ever direct feed it unless it happens to be open...then its happy. I know it might sound odd...but just wait untill its open then run to feed it ^^

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

The coral has been starved since it left it's home in the ocean. It may require some time like rickzter said.
    what your doing by using a bowl to feed seems to be the best way to do it.
    Just keep it up and it will come around

J

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

The tank has been going for 4 years and I have tons of nighttime critters, so I'm not worried about the leftover brine causing a nitrate spike.....should I be? So should I keep trying every other day? Or every day because it was starved?

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Humm, one good way to get them to open is to pump food like cyclops sp. or tiny plankton at nighttime when the moonlights are out. They will feel right at home and might open up, worth a shot.

8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Well I have figured out a good feeding pattern for these guys. Every other night, I have been turning off everything that causes the water to stir (pumps, filter, skimmer...) and letting the water settle for a bit. Then I thaw out about 2 cubes of brine shrimp, spray some on the coral to give it something to think about. After maybe 5min they are coming out, and more and more polyps are coming out each time. Tonight, just about the entire rock is out! So we are definitely making progress! I just need to look into some aquarium gloves or something because my arm is in there for a solid 20 minutes while I feed them....but they have been staying out longer and longer after the feeding is done, so I hope they are filtering the water for food, too. They do that right? I turn everything back on, of course, to get the water moving again. This morning there were some out and I didn't even feed them last night. These guys definitely take some dedication if you want them in the long run. I can't wait until they start coming out more during the day. I know we can work out a deal, hehe. Anyways just thought I would update.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I advise you to purchase the syphon made by Kent. It is telescopic and stretches to 34" long. That is what I use to feed my Tubastrea. I feed mine every night as soon as I shut the lights off the polyps open up with out fail. I don't even have to put food into the water for them to come out. They are beautiful!!!!!I feed baby and adult brine shrimp and cyclops and rotifers. Make sure that they have good water movement as they benefit from good water movement!

11. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Update! The coral is doing wonderfully! If I feed the fish brine shrimp, they come out soon after. They also pretty much come out when the lights go down every night now. I feed them about 2x a week, and tonight was the biggest success so far. ALL of the polyps on the rock were out to play! We went through 3 cubes of brine shrimp....3!!! I probably could have gone through 6 without any problem. These guys can eat! Not much went uneaten. Some people might find it a pain to have to feed these guys like that, but I admit I like it. It's cool to see them when they are out, and its cool to see them be "sticky" and grab the shrimp right from the eye dropper. Plus it gives me a chance to feed my yellow polyps, who are multiplying at a staggering pace!

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Very Good! I love the sun polyps.