Sump vs Canister

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Moneypit, Jan 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

sumps are the way to go, for years I was stuck on canister filters then I took someones advice here a while back and installed a 30 gal sump/refuge and what a difference it makes.
    I still use my canister for phos ban and other media when needed.

2. Click Here!

3. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

I've been using a canister for the last couple of months and I haven't experienced anything that I'm aware of as being a problem. My nitrates usually hover around 10-20 ppm which some say is not a issue and others say I should be hitting the panic button. I suppose I suppose I could use some de-nitrate type of product to get it even lower, but my buttons and shrooms seem to be fine. I rinse out the canister media about once a month when I do a water change and the whole process only takes about 10 minutes of my time.

I would say get a sump if you can because of the advantages that everyone has pointed out. My personal experience with my sump I had on a 55 gallon freshwater tank for years is that hated the thing. I was constantly having to top of the water evaporation every 2-4 days or the overflow box would cease to function. This would've been pain with a sw tank with me since I buy RO/DI water for the local fish store. I also felt it made my house smell very "fishy". The final straw was when the sump overflowed and severely warped my tank stand.

This was just my experience with sumps, but I'd still say get one if you have the coin and space.

1 person likes this.
  4. Moneypit

Moneypit Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the advise. I have heard if you don't clean the canister it turns into a nitrate incubator. If I did a sump what sixe should I get? I assume the biggest that will fit through the doors. does anyone recommend a good post for a sump/fuge set up for a 90 gal?

5. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

1 person likes this.
  6. Moneypit

Moneypit Astrea Snail

tronb24, what size tank do you have? I may be doing something wrong because my water changes and filter cleaning take me and my wife about 2 hours. I admit we are fussy and clean the jets, heater, skimmer etc. every time we do a water change. I bet if I only changed out 20 gal it would be about 1/2 hour.

7. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a 29 gallon tank. I change 5 gallons of water every month which is about a 18% water change. I rinse out the filter sponge, chemi-pure and ceramic media with the water that is scooped out of the tank. I don't scrub the ceramic and carbon media for obvious reason and there is rarely any visible junk on the sponge, so it just gets a good rinse down in old tank water. I do not clean the heater or protein skimmer on a regular basis (except for the collection cup about every 2-3 days). I only scrub the intakes if there is a reduction in flow coming in/out of either. So if I was to clean those and the other things you on the regular, it would probably add a significant amount of time to the process.

I may be too lose with this and maybe thats why my nitrates hover around 10-20 ppm. They are usually around 0-10ppm for the first two week after a water change though. It's not until the close to the end of the month when they get up to 20 ppm. I'm ok with this range, it out weighs weekly trips to the LFS to buy RO/DI saltwater for top offs.

8. Click Here!

9. Moneypit

Moneypit Astrea Snail

I only had a problem with nitrates in the first 3 months of setting up the tank. I do the same as you and rinse the filter, chemi-pure, and ceramic rings in the dirty water. It works great if I only could stop my compulsive self from cleaning everything. I have to rinse the canister media every 2 weeks because the flow starts to get restricted and I have had bad luck when I try to stretch the time. I use a phosphate pads because I use my well not RO water and I have had red and hair algae problems before. Maybe someday I will get an RO filter.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I have been running a canister from the get go. Canisters are labor intensive and must be maintained to combat algae and maximize growth of corals. A sump is the way to go if you have a drilled tank, so much flexibility.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'd definately go with a sump just for the added volume. My personal preference is a 'clean' sump meaning just the equipment goes in there. Pumps still trap dietruis (sp) but are easier to clean than rock/sand. Not saying that's the right way just the way I do it.
    IMO you're going to end up working yourself to death keeping a canister clean. You could still use it to polish the water every now and then, that's what I do with mine.