Sump vs Canister

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Moneypit, Jan 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moneypit

Moneypit Astrea Snail

I have a low end canister filter now that I clean every 2 weeks but I should do it every week. I want to lower the amount of maintenance on my 90 gallon (fish/reef) tank and at the same time provide the best filtration I can. I view my tank from both sides so I would like to keep the view as clear as possible. I have a Deltec 300 protein skimmer that hangs on the back now. I know I could but that under in the sump but I would have to have an overflow box on the back of the tank so I don't think I would have gained much there.
    the simple question would be: What is the best? A canister filter like the Eheim Pro 3 Electronic or a MegaFlow Sump Filter Model 3 or 4?
    I thank you for any advise you can give, it is a lot of money to make a change like this and I just want to do the right think.

2. Click Here!

3. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

a sump beats a canister any day. it gives you more options too.

1 person likes this.
  4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont know how your set up is or what your budget is, but I would take a sump over a canister any day. Esp. if you can incorporate a refug in the design. Luna

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I just set up a sump on my 55. I needed to use an overflow box b/c it was already established. It is a cleaner look, you see the over flow and return, but the skimmer, heater and any other equipment you have, i had a carbon/phosphate reactor, are all in the sump. Also, I can easily add a refugium if I want to. If you want the best possible filtration method, I would go with a sump.

6. Moneypit

Moneypit Astrea Snail

I have had the tank for about a year, I still feel new to all this and sumps look to me like you are just adding more water capacity to the tank. Is that true? I have live sand and live rock in the tank, what advantage would it be to have a little more in the sump? Or beter yet, how does a sump "filter".

7. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

A "sump" adds water volume to your system and provides a place to hide equipment. Add sand and LR and it provides a ton of extra filtration. A "refugium" (requires lighting) also adds water volume and gives you a place to cultivate nitrate/phospate uptaking algae, as well as pods. Many people now combine the sump and 'fuge into a single unit to save space. I have a 10g sump/fuge combo with a deep sand bed for my 20g long tank and I will never again operate a tank without a sump and 'fuge. I highly suggest going that route--you can find lots of info about designs by searching 3reef. The design can be very simple and is easy to DIY if you are so inclined.

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Go with the sump with refugium. I didn't use one initially and I had nitrate issues. A cannister filter doesn't do anything for you except trap food and waste where it turns into nitrate.

I built my sump an refugium using two 10 gal tanks that I drilled and connected with PVC plumbing. I wanted the maximum volume I could get but a 10 gal tank was the biggest I could fit through the door in my stand.

My refugium has a 6 inch deep sand bed and Chaeto algae. The sump portion houses my protein skimmer, heater and return pumps. You'll probably just want to your overflow box. Overall, it will probably cost about the same as buying a cannister filter. Even if you go with cannister filter you'll probably want to upgrade to a sump eventally anyway.

10. Moneypit

Moneypit Astrea Snail

Do I have to clean a sump and refugium like I do a canister? Is the idea of a sumpt to make the tank "self sufficient"?

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I know I am probalby doing it all wrong but I have not once cleaned my caniser out. From my under standing the waste that is not converted over it cleaned out by skimmer.(only thing I check is to make sure that it is not cloged). On bigger tank I have home made sump/fuge but that is just cause I have more room. I like the fuge just cause it is like the work bench of the hobbie. But on a smaller system the canister I have works fine too.

12. makinITwork

makinITwork Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Myself, I have canister filters and they are working great for me. I don't clean them that often and my tank is has settled in. Yes, canisters pump out nitrates, I have de-nitrate coils that take care of that.

From what I have been reading and with the help on MANY on this site, I think a sump/'fuge is a better option, however you need the right set up for it. If I had some more space ( or the space was set up in a new way) and my tank was drilled, I would do a sump.

Personally, I am not a fan of the overflowboxes and I worry about "what if I loose the suction in the overflow", the sump will overflow my tank etc. ( I know.. that odds of that are slim to none)

So, basically for me, I made the canisters work, becase a sump was just not going to happen with how I am configured. I have inline heaters, coolers etc. so 90% of my "stuff" is not seen. it took LOTS of work and lots of plumbing.

If I could start from scratch, I 100% would do a sump. BUT.. I am too far down this road to give up now. So to answer your question. if you can make the sump work now, I would do the sump. you seam to be at an a good point to switch over. There are lots of great posts here about sumps etc.