SUmp return suggestions/help

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jaymostella, Apr 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I purchased the sump i have with the 125 that was home made. It has a mag 18 as the return pump and has 2 returns (one on each side) that are both divided at the top into 3 (one circle outlet and 2 flat outlets) on each side of tank. Questions I have:

1. What is the advantage/disadvantage of dividing the returns so many times?
    2. Should each of the returns outlets be under the water or ruffle the top of the water in the display tank?
    3. I have a lot of "particles" that flow through the water that can be easily seen when the mh's are on, the water looks much clearer at night with the actinics and especially with just the lunar leds...

Tank has been running almost 2 months now.. Sand substrate and 160lbs live rock... 2 tunze older 6100 power heads and a tunze 7095 controller (which is my series of questions where I need help setting up)

2. Click Here!

3. windowlicker

windowlicker Astrea Snail

The more times the return is split off the less flow each one has. You want to keep one close to the top to help break the syphon when the pump loses power. If you run carbon threw a reactor you will filter out most of the particals in the water. Hope this helps. Dan

4. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I do not have a carbon reactor. I guess I should look into one.

5. windowlicker

windowlicker Astrea Snail

I use a 2 little fish one with a maxi jet 1200