Sump/refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by ChrisO, Nov 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ChrisO

ChrisO Plankton

Hi All,

I've just built one of the DIY overflows that i found on a thread on here and now i am planning my sump/refugium.
    Now the problem i have is that due to my tank stand design, i'm slightly limited on space to install this stuff. I would like to have a sump to put my skimmer, a spare heater and some filter floss for mechanical filtration purposes, and also to increase turnover in the tank.
    The only way i can see to do it is to have a 2 stage system, where the central board on the tank stand, has been drilled to run overflows from the first stage of the sump through.

I think i can probably squeeze in 2 18x12x12's in there, although getting these made, or making them from acrylic myself will allow a lot more flexibility in the construction and plumbing.

I have attached pics to show you what my plan is.

Does this look like a sensible plan?

Which side should house the skimmer etc, and which side should be the 'fuge?

I'm thinking refugium first and equipment 'house' second.

Also the main tank is a 220Litre, what size should i be aiming for on the 'fuge and sumps?

Also does anyone know where i can get the acrylic and the tools needed to work on it somewhere in scotland, assuming i go ahead and build this myself?

Thanks

Chris

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi Chris,

I believe that it is best to have the skimmer first, and then the clean water goes to the refugium.

I am also thinking of doing the same thing, you can see my pics and post here: http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/idea-multi-sump-38074.html#post348568

As far as pump size you need to turnover at least 10 times the volume of water in your main display. What I intend to do is have a closed loop system that will turnover the water around 15 times the volume so the main overflow and sump can flow at a slower speed. Hopefully this will reduce the noise of the water flowing through the overflow pipes and give a bit more control over the wave movement and filtration.

I have found these guys in the UK that can cut acrylic in square pieces only and are not a bad price, you need to call them for a quote. Perspex - Perspex sheet
    There are many suppliers on the web and its just a case of finding the best price!

I am also looking at the overflow at the back of the tank (through the glass) as opposed to an overflow box. Here is a side profile, the glass shelf will run almost the length of the tank and will allow a thin displacement of water to fall into the overflow section. A shelf will also be available to put some corals on it to disguise it a bit. I may even use tinted glass for the shelf as my background will be black.

Good luck with your setup

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Did you ever implement this over flow and if you did is it working well??

5. Frizza

I haven't yet started the build of the tank. It is due to be built around february time as we are moving house. I have already bought the extra bits and pieces ready for the new tank.
    I am still planning on the same over flow design, I suppose one other advantage is that I dont lose both back corners of the tank with an overflow box.

As I begin my build I will start a new thread so everyone can see what I am up to and also offer any advice...no pressure!! :)

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

With everyone getting the idea that clean nutrient free water is to be used in or supplied to a refugium is just depriving the Flore and fauna that lives in the refugium a needed source of food and nutrients.. Like a Lawn or Corn field remove the fertilizer and see what happens ): Just supply the fuge with a steady trickle of water right from the tank drains then allow it to flow over into the sump.

These plants and bugs need and feed on waste food particles and nitrates and nitrites and everything you want to remove from the water.

For the fuge water supply or feed line bring that in on one end of the tank and take it to the bottom so that the out let is just a inch or so from the sand and one the opposite end let it drain in to the main sump and near the pumps inlet to shoot any washed out bugs and food back up to the main display tank. A refugium is just a way to emulate a saltwater swamp. It is not supposed to be pretty or clean and beautiful. Then you want to trickle a about 10% of the fuges total water volume through the refugium every Hr. Like a 10 Ga fuge you want to move 10 GPH through it.

It amazes me the way a simple swamp can be so overly thought and made to be so confusing and complicated :) All I can say is if anyone tell you to remove a plants food source they have little ideas as to how plants work :) And the same goes for the sand fauna.. A refugium with a DSB or plenum is all you need and the fuge is the only place to use a DSB or plenum if for no other reason other then just what the name refugium implies a refuge /safe place

7. Frizza

Some interesting points there. I will have two overflow pipes so I could have one pipe feeding the fuge and the other into the skimmer section, both can then overflow into a central compartment that then sends the water back to the main display.
    Even if the skimmer section is first I would say that only around half of the water passing through this section would actually go into the skimmer itself, the rest will just pass straight into the fuge. So my question is if it really makes that much of a difference?
    I have plenty of time before I start my project so any pros and cons on different designs is appreciated.