Sump/Refugium w/ pics and question

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Saltydoggy, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Saltydoggy

Saltydoggy Astrea Snail

So here is my 20 gallon sump, looking for thoughts on my design. Skimmer will go in larger section on the left. Small fuge will be on the right side. I'm thinking about increasing the height of the fuge baffle to make it a few inches deeper?? does anyone else think this is a good idea?? or should i leave it as is. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

• dd.jpg
      dd.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

How wide is the return section? I realize it is a 20. I would not worry about making it deeper. I would try to make it as wide as you can though if you have room to spare from the return section.

4. Saltydoggy

Saltydoggy Astrea Snail

The return section is 6inches wide x 10 inches deep x 12 inches long. Thats the other thing im a little worried about. I don't want to have to top it off every day. I top my tank off now with about a gallon every 4-5 days. Im ok with that. Do you think my return section is to small???

5. piezopaul

piezopaul Bristle Worm

it is totally dependent on how big your return pump is. Any interest in drilling a hole for a return bulkhead?. Then you could have an external pump and you could make the refugium much wider.- Paul

6. Saltydoggy

Saltydoggy Astrea Snail

I'm planning on using a Rio Hyperflow 10 for the pump. and a Eshopps 300gph overflow. The pump is rated at 660 gph but will have about 5.5 ft head height. so that should bring the gph down to below 300 im hoping. Its dimensions are 4.4 in long, 2.3in wide and 2.8 tall. So there is plenty of room in the return section for it. Don't really want to drill the tank for an external pump.

7. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

it looks good. dont worry about making it deeper.
    ATO may be needed to insure your pump does not run dry. if you dont want ATO maybe branch the pluming to have an additional intake line with ball valve enter at the return section.
    and make sure to leave room for back siphon when return pump is off.
    looks nice and sleek tho!

8. Click Here!

9. Saltydoggy

Saltydoggy Astrea Snail

Should I try and incorporate a DSB in the fuge? I was think a 3 in sandbed w/ some live rock rubble and chaeto. Then grow some pods so i can support a mandarin untill it accepts brine or mysis and flake food. is a 3 in sand bed adequate???

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I think you got it covered. A DSB is really not going to help that much. Put some rock rubble in there to give the pods a home and call it good. Perhaps put it in a fish net bag and it will be easier to take out if you need to clean.???

11. Saltydoggy

Saltydoggy Astrea Snail

you dont think i should add some form of macro algae in the fuge to combat algae growth in the Display tank?? I'll be using a ASM G2 skimmer which is rated for up to 200 gallons. I will have a total of 30 DT and maybe 12-15 in fuge w/ rock dispacement and so forth i figure total system volume of around 40-45 gallons.