Sump/Refugium tutorial?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Green_Clavulari, Oct 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Green_Clavulari

Green_Clavulari Spaghetti Worm

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there is any tutorial (article or videos) for building your own refugium? I have seen some on youtube, but they're not really detail.

Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Haven't read through this, but the beananimal overflow system is great and you learn a lot about overflows in general from the article.
    DIY Acrylic Sump - Beananimal's Bar and Grill

I'd personally use a tank so that you don't have to worry about leaks from some kind of mistake as much. You can put walls in there, or I personally just stacked a bunch of rock in a stable way that made a general flow around it and I pointed the inlets away from the pumps. Never had any bubbles in the display, besides startup of course. The beananimal overflow I have is also supposed to stop most bubbles from even going into the sump though, which might be why my method worked.

4. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

Search "DIY Sump" or "DIY Refugium" Or browse the DIY forums. Plenty of info. I also tend to tell my friends to check out melevsreef.com great website for build ideas, jsut not the most detailed descriptions.

5. Green_Clavulari

Green_Clavulari Spaghetti Worm

Thanks Jodah.

6. Tyler805

Tyler805 Plankton

scope the DIY section

7. kriv4o

kriv4o Astrea Snail

Now when you say " build your own refugeum" do you mean build the container it self or how to build your own fuge out of let say a spare aquarium?
    If it's the first it shouldn't be any different than building a tank.
    If it's the second check melevsreef,as someone already suggested, chose your design/ set up and browse the DIY subforums. There are plenty of threads out there.
    Good luck with your build and happy reefing.