Sump/Refugium Suggestions

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by mario8402, Apr 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I just aquired a 10gal that I am debating on what to do with.. I can set it up on my counter and use it as a QT tank for fish, or I can set it up as a sump/refugium... problem is, I dont know what the difference is lol.. :-[

I am assuming refugium would be the way to go, but it may be a problem since my tank is on a cast iron stand that is open underneath.. I would probably have to enclose the bottom some how with wood or something.. what do you all think? is it worth it? what kind of equipment would I need (links rule!) ?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

you would not nessasarily have to cover the bottom of your tank. The reason i did is because it is not alwase the best to look at. to incorporate your 10gal tank into a sump / ref all you would need is some tubbing to bring the water from your tank and then back to your tank. some baffels to make sepperate sections in the tank and a return pump... any more questions please ask, and good luck....

4. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

from what I understand the tubes would bring the water out of the main tank via siphon, and a pump would pump it back out into the main tank... what if the pump fails or power it out.. SOL?

5. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

that is why you set up a overflow in a tank, then the overflo will only take so much water and if the power goes out your sump will only fill so far without overfilling. to build an overflow you will need to drill a hole in your tank for the overflow then set up a patition to keep the overflow sepreate from the rest of the tank. and then plumb the return line to the oppisite side of the tank... increasing the amount of flow in the tank

6. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

ouch, might be a no go on setting up a fuge then.. tank is already setup and going.. I dont want to risk taking it down and drilling it.. plusI want a bigger tank some day soon anyway

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

All you need is an overflow box that hangs on the inside and outside of tank. You dont need to drill your tank.Check out the CPR overflow boxes, they work very well. If you plan on doing a refugium then I would recommend you use a 20g tank. Save the 10g for a QT tank.