Sump/Refugium Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Flying Turkey, Feb 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flying Turkey

Flying Turkey Astrea Snail

The refugium section of my sump for my 50 gallon cube DT is 6" wide x 16" long.

Sump configuration is skimmer on the left, fuge in the middle, return on the right.

A few questions as I'm new to reef aquariums:

1) Is 6"x16" enough room for an effective DSB? (I'll have a SSB in DT) Or go DSB in DT?
    2) Should I skip sand in the fuge all together?
    3) I plan on growing Chaeto, do I need a light that will light the entire fuge? (16" long?)
    4) Is it important that the light only shine on the fuge or is it okay if some light overlaps into the skimmer/return sections?
    5) What is the most effective fuge light?
    6) Can I use a 5000k light or does it have to be 6500K?
    7) Do compact florescents need frequent replacement? If so how often?
    8) I plan to use Chemi-Pure Elite. Should it go in the section where the tank drains into the sump just before the skimmer, or after the fuge before the return pump?
    9) The sump came with bio-balls, ceramic rings, and filter media. I've removed the bio-balls, do I need the filter media and ceramic rings?
    10) Should I use a filter sock? No mechanical filter at all?
    11) Should I have the fuge ready to go before I cycle my new tank or after I cycle it with live rock?

I know it's a long list but I've read a ton of info on this and I'm completely confused now.

Thanks for the help!

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

And I had thought it said, 'frying turkey', which IS one of my favorite things to cook/deep fry!

While I feel I have an educated opinion on all those ?'s you asked, I sort of feel you have a good answer already for all of them, or you might not be asking.

No 2 reefers systems are alike, and if they are, shear coincidence.

And, you ask alot of questions form someone from Chicago!- I WAS J/K there!

You should make the 1-2 hr drive to come up, get some freebies, and check out my system.

Welcome to 3Reef!

4. Flying Turkey

I guess I have too many answers for my questions from all of the reading I have done. I just don't know where to start.

I know that all reef systems are different, I just want a good starting point. I have a new aquarium and want to set it up properly.

I would love to come up and check out your system! I love learning, and soak up information.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It's definitely big enough to have an effect on the tank, but I think you would be better served using the space for your macro algae.

Some species of macro will root into the sand bed, and there's no way of telling which species of macro is going to work best with your system. I would put in a couple of inches of sand.

Not necessarily, but macro consumes nutrients when it grows, and it can only grow where there's light. If you keep it trimmed back from the edges of the lit area, it will work just fine, or if you light the entire fuge, you will only have to trim as it fills the refugium.

It can help to keep algae from building up in other areas, but a little bit of algae growing from extra light can also be used as a steady reminder to clean up your unseen sump areas.

I've not seen anything including metal halide, LED or T5 that can hold a candy to how well a little compact fluorescent bulb from Walmart will grow macro.

6500k seems to work best in my opinion, but I've seen people using other spectrums as well.

Every 6 months is best.

You could go either way with that one, but I would recommend putting it after all filtration as more of a polishing filter. Your skimmer and refugium will be removing waste ahead of the Chemi-Pure leaving less in the water and thus exhausting your chemical media at a slower rate.

The ceramic rings will serve the same purpose as live rock or bio-balls. I would remove them slowly if you have adequate live rock to filter the system.

On this one I think you have to really think about your personality and how consistent you are going to be on your maintenance. Well maintained, mechanical filtration can be a really good first stage to keeping a tank clean, but if you're not SURE you will be staying up on the maintenance of them, they will become the first stage in your nitrate/algae factory.

It's best to cycle without macro in your refugium as it will soak up nutrients that the bacteria in your rocks and sand will need to grow.

6. Flying Turkey

Thanks for the reply!

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

all good stuff..

Great questions and great answers.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'm off Friday. PM me if you would like to stop buy.

I have a DIY sump/skimmer w/ DIY fuge- only large area of chaeto, etc. Works great, keeps my DT doing well.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

you did get some great answers from mike. I did see one question that was left over, I would not recommend a DSB in your DT. I also think you're better off to keep a shallow sand bed in your refugium or no sand bed at all - some macro (cheato) and live rock and you're good to go.