Sump Plumbing Questions

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by omgiv, Oct 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I would install a 1/2" x 3/4" T x T (thread by thread) reducer bushing like this on the pump discharge so you increase the size to 3/4 immediately. In this case it would be more properly termed an "increaser" bushing since you are jumping up a size from 1/2" to 3/4".
    Polypropylene Female Reducer Bushings - US Plastic Corporation

You should be able to find one at HD or Lowes.

Next I would screw a 3/4" PVC T x T ball valve on the bushing then screw in a 3/4" thread x 3/4" barbed adapter and use 3/4" tubing the whole way. With the valve screwed right to the pump it will be more solid.
    Another option would be install a 3/4" T x T union on the pump then a short 3/4" threaded nipple and the ball valve so you can shut off the valve, unscrew the union and remove the pump for cleaning but still keep the tubing full of water.

I have found barbed adapters from one size to another at my local Ace and True Value Hardware stores, they both have a better selection than the big box stores do but the prices are higher.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. omgiv

omgiv Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks again for the great information. You have been a great help!!!

Ivy

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

You could also install a 3/4" true union ball valve so you only have one component but the are expensive as all get out. I refuse to spend that much for a valve no matter how cool they look!

5. omgiv

What exactly is a true union valve?

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Instead of a threaded insert, it has a union. So you can undo it without unscrewing the valve off the pipe. You just undo the union.

Plenty of folks use tubing. I put 3/4 on mine for a while. The bigger you go the easier it is to kink. Also, while the tubing might be fine, the barb fitting are ver reduced on the I.D. Just another restriction. But as long as you have plenty of flow, it does not really matter.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

True union ball valves look like this:
    True Union Ball Valves 1/4" to 6" - PVC, Corzan® CPVC and PPL

One reason for upsizing up to 3/4" is to overcome the inside diameter reductions with barbed fittings. I use the reinforced tubing which has a thicker wall and has threads running through it so it does not kink when you bend it. You can do pretty much the same just by using the thicker tubing, same 3/4" inside diameter but a larger outside diameter so its resists kinking.

8. Click Here!

9. omgiv

I could see it kinking on you. Where can you get the reinforced tubing? Thanks!!!

10. omgiv

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

You bet. That would give you a very nice looking, functional and compact setup.
    The reinforced tubing can be found at any hardware store. Some carry heavier wall tubing in black too which is good for reducing algae growth inside the tubing since it restricts light transmission. I use the milky white or clear braided stuff myself though as you can see in the earlier photos.

12. omgiv

Hi Guys,

The time has come for me to replace my sump and plumbing. The sump has been ready and I think I have all of the plumbing parts. I was hoping I could get you to look at this and see what you think. The is the drain portion that goes to the skimmer section and refugium. My only concern is the placement of the ball valve. Will the water rush down to the skimmer and refugium section? My plan is to do it this week. Already have the water mixed. Just need the time. Thanks in advance!!!

Regards,
    Ivy

P.S. The picture is vertical rather than horizontal.

[​IMG]