Sump or Refugium?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Reefbuilder, Dec 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

I am looking to do a 100 gallon set up - it is a new aquarium and came with a RS-100 sump -

I am reading a lot that it should have some LR in it - also reading some use snails and such in it.

Not really sure what the difference is?

I am looking to do a reef with corals and fish. Still very new to salt water.

Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

For me:
    All/lots of LR in my Display Tank only.

DIY Sump/fuge with:
    DIY skimmer chamber, then flows thru a LOT of chaeto, then the RP- and the DT

No substrate in the sump.
    SSB in the DT

Welcome to 3Reef!

4. Reefbuilder

Thanks - I need a dictionary just for all the acronyms! What is RP and the DT?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Here you go. Must of the time you can just hover over the acronyms with your cursor. (well you used to be able to, Matt might be updating that)

DT is display tank. I am not sure what Todd means by RP.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aq...cronyms-abbreviations-54351.html#.UrYN17R2DIU

I prefer a sump versus a fuge.

6. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

Could you explain why you prefer sump over a fuge? Been debating between the two for weeks.
    SN: I think RP is return pump.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

1. Sump more room for skimmers, heater, and such.
    2. Sump you can use algae via algae turf scrubber ATS or many alternative means of corralling macro algae.
    3. I do not believe that a fuge offers any significant advantage if a hobbyist is thinking along the lines of a deep stand bed and or live rock rubble.
    4. The display should offer enough live rock that one does not need worry about enough medium for growth of beneficial bacteria.
    5. Maintenance.

Fuges are fantastic. I love a well maintained fuge, most however turn into detritus traps in my opinion.

:)

8. Click Here!

9. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

... Make sense. First time hearing of ATS in number two. Guess it time for me to do more homework.

10. Reefbuilder

Update!

Okay - so best of both worlds! I have decided I am going to set up my Sump in the basement - directly under the tank - right next to my RO water supply. A few returns a few more charges - and I am almost ready to build.

I am going with a Sump - Fuge combo - Most likely Eshopps ADV-200 as I can trade in my RS-100 towards it.

I am getting closer to the BUILD!

11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I have a DIY (do it yourself) sump. I keep chaeto & about 30lbs of LR (live rock) down in there, as well as a drain basket with filter media and a protein skimmer. Pretty sure RT= Return pump! ;)

From researching all the ways to do a sump I don't think there is a "cookie cutter" way of doing things for the sump, or the DT (display tank) for that matter.

12. Reefbuilder

I went with the eshopps ADV-200, 30 Gallon - setting it up in the boiler room - lots of room. definitely going to grow some mangroves in it!