Sump options 40b DT

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Antler, Dec 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Antler

Antler Plankton

I'm planning to setup a 40 breeder reef tank, and am wondering about sump options. I have a 20 long and a standard 10 gallon I could use. I don't want to have a fuge, just want the sump to hide the skimmer and heaters.

is using the 20 long for sump a waste? For just a skimmer, heaters, and return pump would the 10 gallon be a better option for my sump?

I don't have anything purchased yet, so fitment of return pump and skimmer aren't set in stone either. I was thinking of just putting 3 baffles in the center of the 10G, one side for the skimmer and the other for return pump and 2 heaters.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would suggest using the 20L just because it will give you that extra water volume. You may also change your mind down the road and want to add something in and you'll have more flexibility with the larger size.

4. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

Yep go with the 20G long, fyi Petco (if you have one in your area) is doing the $1/gallon sale.

5. Antler

Antler Plankton

ok thanks, maybe ill use the extra space to add some more live rock to the system? is this a good idea?

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that would be a fine idea.