Sump Layout Advice

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by NSAquariums, Oct 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NSAquariums

NSAquariums Plankton

Hey guys, im getting started on my frag tank build.
    The sump is 36 x 19 x 19 (Its a 50g tank.)
    I am building the baffles myself and need some advice on a layout of where to put each thing and it what section between the baffles.
    Things i plan to put in it:
    filter sock, bags of matrix, bag of chemi-pure elite, bag of purigen, 100lbs of dry rock, swc 160 cone skimmer, ehiem 1262, and a tunze ato.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. sail33

sail33 Plankton

If you have all the parts, set them into the sump. Make sure that you have adequate room to change the sock without trouble. Make sure you have access to the skimmer controls and ease of cup removal. You'll want to clean that skimmer cup several times a week.

I put the sock and skimmer in the first section. Baffles should be a minimum of one inch apart and the center one one inch from the bottom. Once you have the sock and skimmer placed, you can mark where the baffles should start. Make a mark or place some tape save that place. I suggest that you use as little space for these two pieces as you can.

Get a design program or cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the sump and lay everything out on that.

As to the bags of chemipure etc, I don't use them but read the MFG instructions and create shelves of eggcrate to support them. You can use tie wraps to hold the structure together.

All of those chemicals but no macro algae ? Cheato helps reduce phosphates and nitrates without chemicals. Just sayin...maybe you want to read more about double layer benthic systems, refugiums .... there are soooo many options and you've got a lot of room for those choices.

All that rock....? How much room will you have if the power goes out and water drains into the sump? If you keep the water level high enough to cover 100 lbs of rock won't your water level be near the top of the sump?

Maybe this helped a little.

good luck

1 person likes this.
  4. NSAquariums

NSAquariums Plankton

Thanks alot for your info it helped me alot.
    the only reason i need all the rock in the sump is because the tank is a 48x24x12 deep blue professional rimless frag tank with overflow.
    the tank it self will only have egg crate and corals in it, that is why i needed to put all the rock in the bottom. i am definatly considering adding a refugium to it.
    Thanks

5. sail33

sail33 Plankton

6. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have my sump build in my build thread, you can use it as a guide. I made my own as well. I did the baffels just as states above, in my fuge part you can use live rock.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  7. jdk

jdk Astrea Snail

I think one of the most important things is to have the area where the skimmer is maintain a constant water level. This way you can tune the skimmer and know that it will not be altered by water level once you find the sweet spot.

8. Click Here!

9. sail33

sail33 Plankton