Sump Idea for Turtle Tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by BLaZeBLaST, Nov 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Never mind last post - this looks awesome and I see there is enough room to hold the water!

2. Click Here!

3. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

Thank you so much. Now I feel very proud of what I've done.

Whose words about enough room, no matter who says; that's right, but I think I must make it higher, not to water limit but the sump itself. This way it will be more secure.

But about the capacity, I think it's enough. For 60 liter, I made 8-10 liter sump. Not a bad deal :)

This is the first sump/DIY thing which is that big and functional. I will gain experience in time, I hope. :)

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I'm a bit confused here, you said your tank is 65 liters? Or 17 gallons? And you have to TURTLES in it? I think you need a bigger tank make your existing tank into a sump. they should have 50 gallons+

6. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

You're right.
    I will move my turtles to a bigger tank in the near future. Bu till that time, I should take care of cleaning problem, so I decided to make a sump.

And this is became an experience I gain before moving to a bigger tank.
    I will not make same mistakes again, I hope.

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

yeas the sump looks good, lots of filter chambers, and I'm glad to hear they will get a bigger home one day, lol. I dont mean to seem like a dink, but to me its like putting a tang in a smaller tank as well. good luck though! hope the sump works out well

8. Click Here!

9. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

I dont think like that, lol.

No problem, I am open to all kind of advices.

If you're right, I must agree it and should reroute myself.

I mean thank you ;)

10. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

I am planning and searching for future sump I will make.

Will it be "useful" to use fibre bowl before sump tower?
    I can change fibre/sponge periodically, and this will keep pees and died turtle skins away from the sump?

But will this slow down the water and in the end; there will not be enough flow to oxigenize the water(hitting the bioballs)?

[​IMG]

11. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

The tank in the photo is sump, bowl is first section for falling water.

What now? :)

12. Pguitar989

Pguitar989 Plankton

hi members,

I recently purchased a 55 gallon tank for my painted turtle, the filters i currently have in his 30 gallon tank will not be sufficient for the new tank so i am beginning to plan a new filtration set up. Until i saw this site i was planning on using a canister filter but the idea of a sump filtration set up has me quite intrigued. (i have a good idea of how to set one up and have a 20 gallon L tank i would plan to use) however the set ups i have seen so far appear to just draw off the top of the water and with the amount of 'debris' and waste from my turtle i just feel that wouldn't be enough..

basically what I'm wondering would be, is there any way to set up a sump filtration system that can draw water off the bottom of the tank to collect much of the buildup of waste that collects on the bottom? if so what is the best way to go about this? If not is there anyone in the same boat as me that knows how to keep the substrate clean?

Also, I would really really like to stay away from drilling or cutting holes in the tank